Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2002, 7:32 AM   #1

Default EF100 USM Macro+Ringlight: Check out this dime at 1:1

I couldn't help crowing about this. The lens is dynamite, and the MR-14EX Macro Ringlight is capable of very subtle lighting, even on a metal target. The shot was handheld, and what you are looking at is an unedited crop from the whole image.

Here is the link to the (very large) fullsize dime. Notice that at 1:1 the dime is higher than the D60 frame!

http://www.pbase.com/image/6086855
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2002, 6:50 AM   #2
lg

Very nice macro, Walter! Are you pleased with the ringlight? If so, tell us more about it-- it looks like a good option for closeups...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 6:16 PM   #3

I think I like the ringlight very much, although I'm a rank beginner in using it. It cost as much as the lens, but it has loads of features. The light consists of 2 semicirculare bulbs, and you can set up a wide range of ratios between them to accentuate or play down shadows. Most criticiism of ring lights has been the flat look, and this lets you do something about it.

Also, if there is something in the frame that would cast a bad shadow, such as a leaf between you and an insect, you can shoot with only one of the bulbs to avoid the shadow of the leaf.

It will also trigger my 550EX (a regular strobe) and control it as a wireless slave.

I only wish I could use it with my 100-400 lens...
Old Oct 24, 2002, 8:21 AM   #4
lg

What is the brand/model # of the ringlight you are using? Will it work with a C2100?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:51 PM   #5

The ringlight is the Canon MR-14EX. It is an EOS flash and I don't think you could get it to work on another camera.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:36 AM   #6

Well Walter, thanks to you, I've now got to explain to my wife why I felt compelled to spend another $500 on another lens. This non-L, non-IS lens is incredibly sharp, and I love it! Thanks for posting, Walter.
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:27 AM   #7

I own this lens as well, but the EF 100mm marco is an USM lens, excellent marco performance. I also shoot with this lens for other purposes as well, that's why I spent almost $35 to get the original hood for the lens.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote