Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:43 PM   #1

I just recieved my new Canon17-85 IS USM lens today and while checking it out noticed that there are 4-5 peices of dust/debris on the inner lens. After waiting weeks to get the lens- and considering the cost of the lens (and the percieved reputation of Canon quality)- it should be easy to understand how pissed off I am. Everything seems to function properly (i.e.; AF/MF, zoom, IS, etc.) but obviously I am concerned that the quality of my photos will be compromised.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and how was it resolved? Should I be concerned that there is a quality control issue at Canon?????
digic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:55 PM   #2

You are not the only one with this problem. See here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00A4eW

As you see from that thread, some are more forgiving than others regarding zooms and dust. If you feel it is excessive for what you should see out of the box, take it back.

As to "quality control issues", Canon is no better or worse than most any other maker. Things do slip by in mass-produced products no matter the QC methods. I have also seen problems in $2,000+ Leica film bodies out of the box, so the $600 you paid for that lens is far from the highest price paid for a photographic product that came out of the box with problems, but if it were me I would probably be mad too.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:46 PM   #3

greg-- i understand that even Rolex's and Porches have problems- i guess i'm more pissed at the fact that i had to wait so long to get the lens-and now have to wait even longer to get the lens back. I have to send it to Canon repair in NJ (at my expense) and they said the "avg" turn around is 10 days- so i may not even have i back in time to take on my trip to calif. over thanksgiving!!

Oh well!! thanks for the link though- good info!

Drew
digic is offline   Reply With Quote