Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:22 PM   #11

There is a loss oftwo stops between the 1.4 and the 2.0 teleconverters, so, yes, there is an issue here, but that is related to cost versus price. In an ideal world we would all buy the 400mm or 600mm lens, but we don't all have the means to do so. According to all I read nowadays, the latest lenses are so good with a teleconverter that there is really no need to buy the (much) higher priced lens which would normally be the logical choice. And I have to agree, albeit as a Nikon user. I have the 70/200 VRIFED lens with the 1.4 and the 1.7 teleconverters, and the quality is quite good enough for magazine printing. Losing one or two stops isn't the end of the world, and I think we all tend to get bogged down in the reading of the analyses and recommendations which quite frankly have not much bearing on the type of photography done by far and away the majority of amateurs.

For a professional photographer at the edge, the best equipment is his livelihood, but for most people who do not crop to a 10% ratio or blow up photos to A3 then almost any lens will, in the final analysis, do. There are limits though, since as an avid amateur most people who buy a D20 will want to see good photos, so therein lies the perspective. A good lens is necessary to complement the camera and as such F2.8 is the, no matter which make, lens to go for for the effects it can create in the right hands.

Me? I would hold out for the IS Canon lens even if it means missing a few matches and waiting a while. Like a dog, a lens is for life, and the makers lenses are surely better than the copies, especially at maximum zoom. But that is me, and if extreme quality isn't your thing, then the Sigma will equally do as well.

Whatever the choice, I hope you are pleased with the camera and the resultant photos.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:55 AM   #12

These are just 3 of the MANY pics I took up the coast of Spain this weekend. 20d Plus Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS. If you have the money, I would say ALWAYS go for the quality, it will last you many many years.....
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:56 AM   #13

Another...
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:57 AM   #14

Last one. Another thing is that this lens has 2 versions of IS. One for panning left to right, or up and down, the other for stationary shots...FANTASTIC!
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:05 AM   #15
NHL

Here's a "panning" shot from my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM:

1. I don't need IS because for this fast moving bird I need the shutter speed!
2. If my shutter speed is fast enough to freeze an action any IS will be redundant...
3. If my shutter speed is too slow for handheld and IS to kick-in then my 'speedy' bird would be blurry regardless :blah:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:07 AM   #16
NHL

One can read all day about the merit of TC on not to TC... Just do it! Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with Sigma 2x teleconverter:

Again check out the "Bokeh" of this lens

If you 'need' to have IS and a white lens then go ahead by all mean. But here some food for thought:

1. If the Sigma 'breaks' you can buy two more for the cost of the IS!
2. You can also buy another camera (the Minolta dSLR with 'Anti-Shake' built-in the body come to mind)! :-) :-) :-)
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:13 AM   #17

Would NHL please put his toys back in the box!

I didnt say I used IS for these pics, I just said it was a cool piece of technology. You dont have to justify to us that you bought the Sigma. Isimply dont like sigma lenses regardless of any pics posted. I had the 17-35 HSM and didnt like it. I tried the 105mm macro and didnt like it. As you well know, it is not always about picture quality, but about how the product "Feels" to each person. Therefore, the best advice is to try both for a bit and see how you "Feel". If it "Feels" good, then go for it! And just to prove I am not Canon biassed either, I tried the 100-400L and didnt like it either, I hate push-me pull-me lenses.

Rant over, time for tea.......:bye:
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:12 PM   #18
NHL

Agreed... I tried to remain neutral toward the original poster:

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... It's too long for indoor, so the 70-200 f/2.8 (any brand) will be the most flexible.
... until the onslaught of the Canon 'fans' toward the later part of the post. I'm also not bias to Sigma either: I have an EF-85 f/1.2L as well as other Canon's (and several AF Tokinas from my other cameras) :-) :-) :-)

The soft rubber finish on the Sigma 'feels' good to me though!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:21 PM   #19

Quote:
The soft rubber finish on the Sigma 'feels' good to me though!

Haha! :blah: