Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

I'm just about to buy the Canon 20D. I've searched and searched and found everything I'd like except for the lenses.
The problem I'm running into are the lenses. I have NO idea what "usm" means. What does "soft focus" mean? What's an Aspherical lens? If it doesn't say auto or manual focus, is it generally one or the other? What is a "T-Mount"

Is there a book someplace I can get to help me with these???
eelbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2

eel... I'm largely with you.... I am a former videographer who's beginning in photography as a hobby to distract me from law. I just acquired an Eos Digital Rebel from eBay and am trying to learn all the joys of the Digital SLR world.

Lastmonth in Popular Photography, there is an article on lens abbreviations (USM, EFS, etc etc) broken down by manufacturer. For example USM= "Ultrasonic Motor" a process for fast and quiet focusing. For info see http://www.canon.com/technology/detail/device/usm/

The thing that I quickly needed to learn was that very few lenses out there actually work with your camera. That doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of lenses that work, but you just can't buy any lens that you see... it has to have the proper lens mount. The 20D, like my Digital Rebel, (someone correct me please if I'm wrong) uses Canon EF lenses, and will accept lenses made by other manufacturers that have Canon EF mounts. (Don't look at Olympus lenses for your Canon camera.)

I'm sure others will chime in with much more helpful comments, but good luck-- like me, you need it!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:34 PM   #3

Here are a couple links to aglossary of some terms you can do a search on. You may get some mismatched results (such as USM - the other post is correct - it refers to Canon's auto-focus mechanism on their newer lenses. So while this site won't help with vendor-specific terms it will help with common photography terms. Soft focus usually is a negative term meaning the focus is not 'sharp'. Also, if you post some information on the types of photography you want to accomplish and what your budget is you will get some pretty good feedback from the people on this site. One of the nice things here is there are people who also use third party lenses so you won't just get feedback telling you which Canon L lense to buy (you should look at them too, but it's good to keep an open mind as in some cases third-party lenses can be almost as good for quite a bit less money - which for us amateurs is often a necessity).

http://www.digitalexposure.ca/sub1.html#T

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ry/terms_a.htm
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:33 AM   #4

Gentlemen, Theank you both Very much for your info! I look forward to my 20D and my photography future.
eelbite is offline   Reply With Quote