Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:37 PM   #1

I am vacillating between the Tamron 17-35 2.8 and Canon 17-40L. I tried them both yesterday but did not shoot flash.I am curious about the supplied lens shades.The Canon seems the size ofa pizza platevs the tulip- shaped shadeon the Tamron. I am still learning to use the pop up flash on my Drebel. Will the 17-40 shade obstruct that flash? Will Ineed anexternal flash for indoor wide angle shots?
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:16 PM   #2
NHL

For a wide angle shot the built-in flash is not goint to cut it regardless of the shade:
1. Not enough power
2. Not enough angle of coverage

... regarding your question though up close would be most problematic with the shade!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:32 PM   #3

Good point about the flash coverage. I thoughtI could get away with it in a home setting, say a group of people in my living room,if half the light wasn't bouncing backin my facefrom the shade.

Would you know if I could use my old Sunpak potato masher strobe with the Drebel?Does someone makea PC cord to go from the flash shoe to the strobe?I coud manuallysetthe shutter to whatever synchspeedthe manual suggests and thef stop to match thesetting on the flash for the ISO I pick. That way the flash head will be well above the shadeandI can even bounce off the ceiling ifI choose.

Is this safe or canI fry something?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:07 PM   #4

I would take your flash in to a camera shop or repair shop first and have the voltage tested. Older flash units supply a jolt that would fry today's cameras. The original Vivitar 285 does. The 285 HV is safe.

Regarding the supplied hood with the 17-40 f4L, there is an option if you want to spend another $50 or so. The tulip-shapedhood supplied with the 24mm 1.4 L lens fits the 17-40 and can be bought separately, does not shade the corners at 17mm on a 1.6 crop digital body and is much deeper so protects the front element from sunlight on the edges of the frame and against accidental knocks better. It's also much thinner and mounts backwards on the lens for storage. It is still too wide to be used with the built-in flash up close or at the wide settings, but it's a much nicer hood to use than the onesupplied with the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...042&is=REG
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:53 AM   #5
NHL

ADSchiller wrote:
Quote:
Would you know if I could use my old Sunpak potato masher strobe with the Drebel? Does someone make a PC cord to go from the flash shoe to the strobe?
Which Sunpak potato masher?
I have the 522/544 which I've use occasionally, the sync cord should have come with the flash which plugged on the side of the camera flash head

Or are you using the dedicated module for Canon which goes on the hot-shoe?

Quote:
I coud manually set the shutter to whatever synch speed the manual suggests and the f stop to match the setting on the flash for the ISO I pick. That way the flash head will be well above the shade and I can even bounce off the ceiling if I choose.
Yes...

That's how I would use it too
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:23 AM   #6

My apology - I mis typed part of the first posting - I wanted to ask about aPC cord adapter.I havethe PC cord for the strobe, (a Sunpak 522). I don't have an adapter that fits into the hot shoe of the Drebel and allows me to connect the camera -end of the PC. The Canon accessories sheetpacked with the camera shows a STE2 infrared transmitter module and severalstrobes.It doesn't show anythingthat accepts a PC cord. Are there 3rd party gadgets that will work?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:32 AM   #7

Yes there are a lot of hotshoe / PC adapters :-) starting from the low end at about 10$ which just pass the trigger on to the flash and the flash trigger voltage back to the camera. To the higher end like a Wein safesync for around 50$ that have internal circuitry to try to save the camera from accidental over voltages.

Search in the Flash(Studio) and Flash(external) forums, there are several threads going on there about connecting external strobes to cameras that do not have PC connectors.

Be very careful with that sunpack 522, the http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html lists various units as having trigger voltages ranging from 10v all the way up to 190v. That web site also tells you how to measure your own strobes trigger voltage if you have a good multimeter.

10V should be safe for the camera, 190v will do bad things unless you use a safesync.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:01 PM   #8
NHL

The 522 has an optional dedicated Canon module (I have one) which goes onto the hot-shoe. This module has its own sensor and plugs into a DIN connector on the rear of the head. It wouldn't be E-TTL, but it would set the shutter speed and aperture from the module
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:28 PM   #9

Thanks very much, everybody. The info about the 522 strobe looks scary. That range of voltage variance among allegedly the same model is very odd. Iknow ofa Canon service center near my home. I will take the strobe over there and have it tested. If theysay its OK, I'llbuythe Canonadapter through them. Otherwise I may just put the cost of the safe adapterand whateverI can sell the strobe for on Ebaytowards a new Canon flash.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:44 PM   #10
NHL

ADSchiller wrote:
Quote:
Thanks very much, everybody. The info about the 522 strobe looks scary. That range of voltage variance among allegedly the same model is very odd. I know of a Canon service center near my home. I will take the strobe over there and have it tested. If they say its OK, I'll buy the Canon adapter through them. Otherwise I may just put the cost of the safe adapter and whatever I can sell the strobe for on Ebay towards a new Canon flash.
The reason it's erratic is because of the different power options on this flash:

1. With batteries it's anywhere between 50-60V
2. With HV power pack it can easily goes to hundreds
3. With the Sunpak dedicated Canon module, it'll comes in to the ISO level acceptable for the camera (even with HV packs).

I would not use this flash without a Weinsafe and that's why I asked if you have a dedicated Canon module for this flash or not!