Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:06 AM   #1

... somebody gripes about the 28/135 IS, I gotta laugh.

That lens made me $200.00+ at a sports banquet Saturday night.

So is it a "Good" lens ??

In my book, I don't know about "good", but it is a money maker !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2

If it gets the job done, who cares?

I have it and don't use it that often... but when I do I generally like the results. Is it as good as some of my other lenses? No, but it fits the bill for what I need at that focal length. And that is all that matters.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:29 AM   #3

I just purchased the 28-135 USM IS as a "walking around" lens for my Drebel. I have taken a few dozen shots in local parks and some indoors without flash to check out the IS. The 8x10's on my home printer look great. I can't say how they would look as biggerenlargements or with more cropping but I am very satisfied with the optics. Mechanically, it is solid and seems well made withno evidence of the front "wobble" or other faults some have mentioned. Maybe these things show up after a few years of use or maybe Canon has more quality variability with this model than with others? Someowners seem very happy and others have found faults.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:37 PM   #4

I actually fault Canon quality issues for many of these problems. It really annoys me that they don't test them more, but it seems to be the way of things right now. High quality seems to matter less than cost, both in people's buying decisions & manufacturers' standards.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:14 AM   #5

Well said Eric.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:23 AM   #6

Eric,

That brings up a great point. For those of us with less experience who may buy new lenses, is there a recommended set of tests to perform on the lense to ensure nothing is wrong? For people with a lot of SLR experience I'm sure they all have a 'checklist' - any suggestions from you or other more experienced folks on what I or others should look for when testing out a new or portential new lense (checking auto and manual focus is obvious to me as well as some test prints to make sure there are no scratches or anything on the lense) and checking the physical product for damage, but beyond that I'm not to sure what to look for.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 5:23 PM   #7

JohnG,

I'll answer your question for the 28-135 lens. I owned it, and its main drawback for me was the lens creep. When you point the lens up or down, it would zoom in or out on its own. I sent it back to Canon to fix it, which it did for a while, but after a few months the problem was back. I've read posts of people that say they didn't have this problem at all with their copy. Thus this is a good thing to look out for. For the rest, that lens is very good. The IS is wonderful. Just too bad its not constant aperture across its zoom range.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:00 PM   #8

Barthold,

Thanks for the answer on the 28-135. This was my first lense and is still my walk-around lense. It has truly been a great lense for an initial walk-around and I have fortunately not had the 'creep' problem. Is it your opinion, then, that each specific lense should have something you look for? For instance, I am looking in a few months to buy the Canon 17-40L - to get more of a wide angle. Any thoughts on particular issues I should look out for?

Quote:
Just too bad its not constant aperture across its zoom range.
As for constant aperture, I agree - I bought a Sigma 70-200 2.8 last month and love the constant 2.8 - if the 28-135 was even a constant 4.0 it would be a huge seller for canon!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote