Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:19 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I'm a new member who has been lurking for about year. Having purchased a 20D this past weekend, I thought I should sign-up.

The only lense I have now is an 18-month old Tamron 28-200 f/4-5.6 Tamron XR Series. I find it slow to focus when compared to the USM lenses I tried in the store. Also, with the 1.6 multiplier, I've lost a lot on the short end. So I'm considering trading it in...

I've been researching to try and plan a lense acquisition strategy that will eventually give me the ability to cover a broad range of focal lengths. However, I'm not sure what I'm really going to need. I've never really had anything shorter than 28mm (with film), but wider angle stuff sounds really interesting. Therefore, I'm thinking of getting one standard length zoom and using it for a few months to determine if I want to go long or short on the next purchase.

Option 1: Get the Canon 17-40 f/4L USM (27-64mm) as a general purpose lens. I've tried it on the camera and was blown away by the focusing speed, silence, and the ability to MF with AF on. It's $969.99CAD.

Option 2: For $800-899.99CAD, I could get the EF-S 17-85mm (28-136mm) f/4-5.6 IS USM, which has a much broader range. However, it has not garnered the universal praise that has been heapend upon the 17-40. It also has the digital only EF-S mount, which some say might limit its ability to hold value. The IS would help in low-light, I imagine.

These two seem like the only choices for a general purpose "walk-around lense" for both indoor and outdoor that would maximize the 20D's abilities (correct me if I'm wrong).

Views on the above choice would be appreciated. The choice I make will have some bearing on what I do next. For example, will there be too much ovelap between a 17-40 and the only game in town for truly wide-angles, the EF-S 10-22mm? At this point, I can see that 10-22mm in my future so the question is very real for me.

Also, will EF-s 17-85mm provide too much overlap with a telephoto (70-200mm f/2.8L USM (112-320mm @ $2699.99CAD for IS and $1789.99CAD for non-IS).

As you can see, I'm seeing these two as a first step, and given their cost, I'm don't want to screw it up and end up with too many lenses that don't cover enough focal lengths.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

llama
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:36 PM   #2

Of the two i would favor the 17-40 f/4L If you ever choose to shoot with a film body this one would work with both cameras. The fixed aperature is something that i always prefer in lenses.

I haven't used IS but it will probably buy you 3 steps if it is the newest revision of IS. Look it up the various revisions have subtly different warnings and effectiveness.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:04 AM   #3

Thanks hedwards.

It's almost as if the lens market has not kept up with DSLR market. There are tons of great zooms with broad ranges, but they all start at 28mm or above, which with the 1.6x cropping factor, make them tough as all-arounders. Hopefully, we'll more choices as time progresses.

Good point on film compatability with 17-40L, I hadn't thought of that and I do have an Elan II body on my desk right now.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:53 AM   #4

Your welcome. Plus the 17-40 has the "L" snob appeal. :-)
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote