Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:27 AM   #1

Hi all,

I've been looking to get another lens for my 10D but i'm not sure which direction to go in and could use some advice from more experienced people then meon the board (thats just about everyone!). I already have two lenses - the Canon 28-135mm IS and the Canon 100-300mm USM lens. The next lens I get will be the last one for quite a while so i'd like to get the decision right!

I have been thinking about getting the Canon ef 50mm f1.8, but have recently been doubting if this is a good decision or not. The 50mm would be very usefull as a portrait lens, but portraits don't form a large part of the photographs I like to take. So i'm wondering if the 50mm lens would be usefull for other more frequent subjects I shoot like architectural, low-light, night-scene or landscape photographs? Is the 50mm f1.8 a one-trick-pony or is it versatile enough to be used in a variety of situations?

The other lens, or lens type, I have been considering is a wide-angle lens. I have been looking around and have a number of options to choose from here; the Sigma 15-30mm, the fixed focal Tokina 17mm ATX or one of the 17-35mm lenses from either Tamron or Sigma. The choice here comes down to optical quality of the lens more then anything else.

I would appreciate some advice on which type of lens, the 50mm or the wide-angle, would be more usefull for the type of photographs I like to take? Like I said, I would mostly shoot landscape, nightsceneand architectural photos.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:06 AM   #2

Keep in mind that 1.6 factor, 50mm is a good portrait lens but it is an 80mm on your camera. Consider a Sigma 50mm EX macro, it would add an ability you don't have covered by your other lenses and it will still focus to infinity.On some charts it's tested better than the Canon. If you have no interest in macro I would suggest the Sigma 20mm f1.8. It is wide angle and very fast, it would fit the bill for the type of shots you mentioned. I am not anti Canon but rather wanted you to explore some other alternatives prior to making a lens choice. Igf you are like me you don't have a budget for trial and error and each lens is a major purchase.

Perhaps you will hear from some others here that will give yopu yet some other ideas, good luck.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Like I said, I would mostly shoot landscape, nightscene and architectural photos.
Given these requirements I'm not sure the 50mm 1.8 is the lense for you. I think the sigma wide angles would be a better fit. 80mm is probably too tight for architectural or landscape photography - and nightscene is likely to require tripod for good shots anyway - you probably don't want the shallow depth-of-field of a 1.8. Just my opinion. If you're requirements were an indoor low-light lense then the 50mm 1.8 would be your choice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:13 PM   #4

Thanks guys, you have pretty much confirmed my doubts about the 50mm 1.8. There will be times where I will want to shoot indoors in relatively low light but I think they will be few and far between. As for Portraits I reckon i've taken well over 2,000 shots already and not one has been a portrait. I only wondered if the 50mm would suit because so many people rave about the lens, but I don't think it is versatile enough for me to make good use of it.

The Sigma 20mm 1.8 isn't a lens I had otherwise considered but one i'll look into now. One thing about this lens is that appart from Macro what advantages does it have over the wider Tokina 17mm ATX or even the Canon 20mm 2.8? I guess i'll have to just do the homework and do a few comparisons!

I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the wide-angle. If I ever do need a protrait lens the 28-135mm will just have to step in and do the job until I feel more affluent. I'll give your lenssuggestions some thought guys. Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:37 PM   #5

hey...you might want to check out the sigma 12-24mm lens!perfect for the grand scenic landscapes and you'd only be missing 4mm in between that lens and your 28-135!

of course, a nice prime might be better...you'd just have to 'foot zoom'

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:58 AM   #6

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash Vito! Otherwise I think my lens choice would be a lot easier!