Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:26 AM   #1

Hi,

I'd like to draw on the collective experience of you guys please. I'm looking for a fast telephoto zoom lens to photograph indoor cycle racing on my Drebel and EOS 5.

My budget is tight - I'm stretching it to able to consider a used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX. Do any of you have any experience with this lens? If so, is it any good? I'd love to be able to stretch my budget enough to consider a used Canon 70-200L f/2.8 - this would involve selling wife and kids - but then if I could afford that I'd also be in range of a used Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 which would be, I think, a much more flexible lens. Again, have any of you used it (the Sigma - I've already ready many wonderful things about the Canon L) and is it any good?

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts, comments and advice.

Andy
andrewmummery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 5:02 PM   #2

As you've noted, there are plenty of happy people here with the Sigma 70-200. I'm one of them. I spent a couple months researching whether to buy it or the Canon and in the end was convinced this was the right choice - the Canon just didn't have enough more going for it to justify $400 more. The lense is sharp, fast focusing and very well constructed. Unfortunately I have no idea what the lighting conditions are like for indoor cycle racing. If it's not great light, I would wonder if 2.8 is fast enough. I know a lot of people who shoot indoor basketball or volleyball use a 85mm 1.8 or 50 mm 1.4 prime lense. If a 2.8 is fast enough, then this is definitely your lense. But more experienced folks than I will have to chime in on whether 2.8 will be fast enough for your needs. Good luck
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 5:40 PM   #3

I shoot competitive gymnastics which means very POORLY lit gyms and NO FLASH. I use the Sigma 70-210 EX 2.8 and get very good results. Been very happy with it... been using it for about a year now..

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Many thanks for your replies, guys. Am hoping 2.8's going to be fast enough, but certainly can't afford to sacrifice the zoom length, and can't afford the mighty Canon 200L f/1.8 either!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:14 AM   #5

Andrew, I agree with the preceding posters. Earlier this year I trialed the Canon 70-200m 2.8L IS alongside the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 EX and the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 EX. Longer story made short, no discernible difference in pic quality and very discernible difference in price. Being less than replete with resources, I bought and have been shooting the Sigma for several months now. I like it very much and recommend it highly.

But if you don't need the zoom flexibility, you should consider a used Canon 200mm 2.8 L prime. Great lens and the price is in your budget.

If this is too late to help, my apologies. Btw, where were you able to find that Canon 200mm 1.8? It is no longer made. If money were no object and it were available, it would be in my shabby hands. An incomparable configuration for sports shooting indoors.
MCTuomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply.As for the Canon 200L f/1.8, a couple of shops (can't remember the names - sorry) advertise it still in Amateur Photographer in the UK and I've also seen a couple second hand. I'm not sure, but I think the second hand ones were advertised by Nicholas Cameras in Camden, London - have a look at their website - Nicholascameras.co.uk (I think!) and see if you can resist the temptation.....
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:00 AM   #7
NHL

andrewmummery wrote:
Quote:
... this would involve selling wife and kids - but then if I could afford that I'd also be in range of a used Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 which would be, I think, a much more flexible lens. Again, have any of you used it (the Sigma - I've already ready many wonderful things about the Canon L) and is it any good?

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts, comments and advice.

Andy
(... or sleep with the dog) :-) :-) :-)

FYI - The Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 by itself: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...33&forum_id=11

... with Sigma 2xTC and wide open: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...48&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote