Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:13 PM   #1

Hi,

I have a Canon D60 with various lenses. I am after a 2 x converter to give me greater focal length. I want to use it mainly with my 75-300 zoom lens. Use is for wildlife photography.

Would you advise using a convertor or bite the bullet and buy say a 500mm lens or whatever you recommend?

Johnny S
johnny S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2
Administrator

I'll move this down to the Canon Lenses forum where you'll have a better chance of getting responses.

Keep in mind that you'll also lose two stops with a 2x Teleconverter from a light gathering perspective, and may have vignetting, etc., at shorter focal lengths.

Of course, also consider the optical quality of anysolution (a cheap 500mm lens may be aworse from an optical quality perspective versus using a teleconverter, or compared to a nice lens like the Canon 500mm f/4L IS USM lens).

Perhaps some of the Canon users can comment on how well a 2x teleconverter works on a 75-300mm lens (you may want to let users know which lens you have, too; as Canon makes several 75-300mm lenses -- with and without USM and IS). Of course, I'm assuming that it's aCanon, when it may be a Sigma or other manufacturer's lens. ;-)

In any event, I'd be more specific onthe lens you are using now, as well as any of the lenses you are considering.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:48 PM   #3

What's the max aperure of your 75-300 at 300mm? With 2x TC you will loose 2 stops so won't focus with your D60. Also picture quality would be bad. 2x TC is not godo unless you use with good prime to begin with. Getting 500mm is no small change, weight wise and money wise. I think canon's 500F4 with IS goes for a more than $5k. Cheaper alternative would be sigma 50-500 which goes for under $1k or canon's 100-400 which goes for $1350.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:31 PM   #4

Also, don't forget that you'll need a really good tripod to get good sharp pictures with the 500 f4 (or really any of the lenses listed.) And you'll need a good head as well. So that increases the cost.

Now, if you can afford the 500 f4 IS, get it. In an instant. I have the 600mm f4 and it is an amazing lens. Heavy, annoying at times. But there is no substitute (except a fuller bank account.)

Assuming the wildlife moves, loosing autofocus is going to cost you shots. And you'll loose it with the 2x TC. Ignoring the loss of optical quality (which will be bad) you just won't get as many shots unless you are REALLY amazingly good with manual focus. Some people are, and it can work. Most people are not and it will cost you.

If you can get the 500 f4, get it. If you can deal with weight and live in an area with good light (California?) get the 50-500. It's a bit slow at f6.3, but its a great lens. The 100-400 is good (I own it) but 400mm is really the minimum focal length for serious wildlife photography.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the advise. My lens is a Canon 75-300 4-5.6 IS. Would asny one recommend say a sigma or the tamrom 50-500??

John

johnny S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:52 AM   #6

For the cost, the sigma 50-500 is a good lens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote