Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:55 PM   #1

Hi,

I would really like some advice regarding lens choice. It is for wildlife photography to be used on a Canon D60 body.

I haven't got pots of money so I have come up with a choice BUT WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
1. Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 EX APO RF
2. Sigma 170-500 5-6.3 RF APO
3. Tamron 200-500 SP AF

Grateful for your advise.

J
johnny S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:12 PM   #2

Johnny,

I bought the 50-500 a month ago. My copy is sharp straight thru stopped down one stop. Be aware it is heavy and can be handheld but much better on a tripod.
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:32 PM   #3

I've only heard of people using the first one. The 50-500 is a good, sharp lens. The high fstop will cause you some troubles some time, but it isn't fatal. You'll still have autofocus, but it won't work great.

Do realize that this is a heavy lens and very few people are able to hand hold it with any success. So you'll want a good tripod and head.

A quick look at a lens review site that I like rates the 170-500 as "sub-average" for sharpness and autofocus speed as very slow (their lowest rating.) So I wouldn't touch that.

They don't have a Tamron 200-500, but they do list a 200-400. It isn't much better than the 170-500. I don't know if you made a type-o or they don't have info on it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:46 PM   #4

I answered this question in the general forum. You might want to look there too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:21 PM   #5

The Tamron SP 200-500 F/5-6.3 Di LD (if) lens Is very new, just now becoming available for sale here.

Itwon the 2004Hot1 Award from Professional Photoigrapher magazine. Getting an award is nice, but an award dosen't tell you how it performs.

It is listing here for 1400$cdn.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:32 PM   #6

Same, thats one of the problems of posting the same question to multiple forums. :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:18 AM   #7
Administrator

Well... we had 3 threads on this subject in two different forumsgoing at the same time (including the thread on Gaining Focal Length here):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

So, I merged the two threads that had identical questions into this one, leaving it in the Canon Lenses Forum, where you'll likely get better responses. I left the Gaining Focal Length thread alone (since it started out asking about teleconverters -- although it would have been best to simply continue that thread).

As others have already pointed out, in order to keep answers in the same place (and so that those responding see all of the answers already given, without missing the answers given in other forum threads), it's a good idea not to "cross post" the same question in multiple locations (which is why cross posting is against the rules insome other forums, and frowned upon in most).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:34 AM   #8
Administrator

Chances are, the Sigma 50-500mm lens is probably going to be your best bet in a zoom lens with this much focal length in it's price range.

As Eric S pointed out, it's ahigher quality lens, based on lens tests on sites that review them compared to theolder Tamron 200-400 (the newer 200-500 hasn't been rated on these sites yet). The older Tamron 200-400 actually had a poor (worse than sub-average)rating on two different popular sites that rate the optical quality of lenses.

Bob Atkins did review the new Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)lens, but he has not reviewed the Sigma 50-500mm. Based on Bob's review, I'd guess that the newer Tamron is a better lens than the old 200-400mm, but I don't know how it would compare to the Sigma 50-500 (I think this Sigma is likely to be a much higher quality lens).

The Sigma 50-500 alsoratedmuchbetter than the Sigma 170-500 on popular sites that rate lenses (as you would expect, since the Sigma 50-500mm is an EX lens).

Most users report that the 50-500mm is quite sharp when stopped down a bit.

In addition, the Sigma 50-500mmf/4.0-6.3 EX APO RF HSM lens should focus faster, thanks to it's Hypersonic Motor (HSM).

On the downside, it's a heavier lens compared to the others.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote