Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:54 AM   #1

I know of one for sale and Im thinking of getting it as a replacement for my 18-55 kit lens. It was part of a deal with a 20D and is brand new.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:13 PM   #2
Administrator

It's relatively light and has USM. But, the optical quality is rated as sub-average:

Lens Tests for Slow Speed Wide Angle Zooms

TheCanonEF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 USM II Autofocus Lensis selling for around $109.95 brand new in the U.S. from some of the reputable online vendors like B&H (or $99.95 for the imported/grey marketversion).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:43 AM   #3

but is it worth using instead of the kit lens for the rebel.???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:41 AM   #4
Administrator

You'll need to decide that. Do you take most of your photos near the wide angle end, or the zoom end? In what ways do you find the kit lens to be limiting?

The kit lens has a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 29- 88mm on a Digital Rebel (after the 1.6x crop factor). So, it's probably designed to approximate the focal range that many owners like the most, compensating for the crop factor you have ona Digital SLR.

Whereas, the 28-90 provides almost the same focal range on a 35mm camera. But, if you used a 28-90mm lens on a model with a crop factor like your Digital Rebel, it would have a narrower angle of view, with a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 45-144mm.

So, you'd start out longer on the wide end, which could be limiting forsome shots (interiors, group photos where you couldn't back up enough to get everyone in the photos, landscapes that you may want to have a wider angle of view with, etc.).

If you don't currently use the wider end of your lens, and find the longer end lacking, then it may be a lens to consider. But, I'd keep the difference in focal length in mind.

From an optical quality perspective, I doubt that the 28-90mm would be an improvement.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote