Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:14 PM   #1

I'm curious about the lens mentioned in my title. I have found what I think is a relatively good price for it on the internet (about $400).

Is this a good lens or would there be a better one that I could get in the same price range (i.e. < $500)??

Sorry, I just got my Digital Rebel for Christmas and I am ready to explore with a decent zoom that won't leave my pictures looking too 'soft'. Thanks in advance.
curioustoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:28 PM   #2

The lens you mention is not very fast. If it wasn't IS it could only be used in bright full light. It has a plastic and loose feel. It also has a nasty habit of drifting open [extending] under it's own weight if hung on a strap. I find it a little soft on the range of 200 and up. I have purchased severl lenses since to cover this range and I do not use it very much. It stays at home and sees duty when I want a light lens. Some one will come along and tell you this is a good lens but it aint so!

Here is a shot to show that it is a little soft.

Attached Images

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:57 PM   #3

Could you recommend something a little better in the price range? Maybe even something a little more than $500 I could save up for?

I do not want something that is going to produce 'soft' pictures or feel cheap, the way I see it... you might as well pay twice as much than to pay half and get crap.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:06 PM   #4

The lens wonks around here will want to know what you want to do... shoot wildlife? Sports? Portraits? Indoor? Outdoor? Candids? Will you be using a tripod or shooting mostly handheld? Do you need a 300mm zoom? 400? 500?

Many people recommend the 70-200 f/4 L -- it's a nice quality "L" (meaning "luxury") lens with good glass, with a decent amount of zoom range that's not TOO expensive.

For Christmas, I (also a Dig Reb newbie) got a Tokina 24-200 (I think the model is called 242AF)... it's fairly fast, well built, sharp, and a good multi-use walk-around lens. But I wouldn't want to shoot sports (not a super fast focuser), nature (not enough zoom), or low-light (not a "fast" lens -- meaning rather bad maximum f-stop)situations with it.

Give them more info, and the opinions will flow!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:50 PM   #5

For a little over $500- the 70-200 f4L- hands down the best tele zoom Canon makes that costs less than $650.

I wouldn't even buy the 75-300 IS lens over the 100-300 EF. Image quality will be the same between these two (75-300 and 100-300), but the handling and AF performance of the 100-300, which uses the ring USM instead of the 75-300's micro USM, is head and shoulders above the 75-300. neither of these lenses are really sharp above 200mm though.

After looking at all the available lenses in this range up to 300mm, if I were not going to get the 70-200 f4L I would go with the Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM, which is like ring USM. The Sigma will be better than either the 75-300 or 100-300 Canon lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:43 PM   #6

Ok, apparently both Ritz and Wolf camera do not carry the 70-200 f4L.

Does anyone know some good online stores that carry this lens. I can't even find it on ebay (except used).

If anyone can supply me with some good websites I would sure appreciate it....thanks
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:38 PM   #7

B&H Photo --- http://www.bhphotovideo.com or Adorama -- http://www.adorama.com are two of the biggest (and most reputable) on-line sellers.

The link to the 70-200 F/4 L at Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/CA702004AFU.html

... and at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...198&is=USA
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:44 PM   #8

I still do not see that they carry this specific lens. Did they quit making it or is it a newer lens?

There must be some reason as to why nobody has it (not nobody, just very very few and most are used).

Any other ideas as to where I can get my hands on one?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:50 PM   #9

Oh, they do still make it. here's direct link to it. If you click on this you WILL see it!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...98&is=GREY

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:01 AM   #10

Maybe I have a good 75-300IS. Here is what I have learned. You NEED to put the camera & lens on a GOOD, sturdy tripod, & I use the Remote Switch RS60-E3, and also turn the IS 'On'. (picked that up from Michael Richmann at www.luminous-landscape.com).

The following link will take you to the most recent image that I took with this lens on Tuesday, December 28, & the 300D - with the Bogen 3221 tripod(from the 1980's) with the 3265 Grip Action ballhead (not really recommended for longer lenses). The only post processing done to this image was to re-size it & sharpen it. Link:

www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19519&sort=1&cat=500&a mp;page=1 It was about 3:00 to 3:30 cst time & the light just happened to be "right". Don't tell me that image is soft!!!

David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote