Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:35 PM   #1

I have moved from Fuji to Minolta and grown tired of being disappointed. I am going to get a Dig Rebel and I was wondering how much zoom the 55mm lens will give me. Can I use any additional Canon brand lens? I just want something sharp and cheap and equivilant to a 10x zoom on a regular digital camera. Thanks for the help in advance.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:08 PM   #2

There are several parts to your question.
A 55mm lens on the DRebel is the same as a 83mm lens on a 35mm camera. I explain how I came to that conclusion below.

How do I figure out which lens on the DRebel matches what I had in a specific digicam?
This is a two step question.
Step one:

Did any of the cameras you used to own have a good enough zoom for you? If so, go look that camera up at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

It should tell you the 35mm equivalent lens that that camera has. It might not be on the first page, but I'm sure it's there.

Now that you know what you need, here is the slightly tricky part.

The DRebel has a sensor which is smaller than 35mm. The result of that being that any lens is 1.6x times longer. A 50mm lens acts like a 80mm lens. A 50-200mm zoom lens acts like a 80-320mm zoom lens.

Also, something you should know/learn something about the "10x" refered to in digicams. It's basically meanless. I know that that marketing people will say otherwise, but it is. Here is why by way of an example:
"10x" refers to a ratio of the shortest end of the zoom to the longest end of the zoom. Nothing more. But how much "zoom" do I get from a 10x zoom? What difference does it make when I use it? The answer is that you don't know... there is no way to know. Here is why:

Imagine these two lenses.
17-170mm
35-350mm

Both of those are "10x" zooms. Because the longest end divided by the shortest end is 10. But they are very different lenses. The first lens is very wide angle at the short end (very wide) and the long end isn't especially long. But the second lens... that isn't very wide, but 350mm is very long. That is a substantial telephoto lens.

But they are both "10x" lenses.... but they are not the same. Saying something is a "10x" lens really doesn't mean much. What matters a lot more is what the actual focal lengths are that the lens covers.

Did that make sense? If not, please ask so we can help you understand. This is not an uncommon problem from people who have used digicams before.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:10 PM   #3

well, to figure out the zoom 'x's....you take the focal length and double it, and remove the two zeros...

so, 500mm would be 10x zoom (500x2=1000-'00'=10x)

now, with the rebel, you'll have a 1.6x crop factor, because the sensor is smaller than the film size the lens was made for, so you multiply the focal length by 1.6 to get the 'practical' focal length...

so, if you were to get a 500mm telephoto (500mm f4 lens is far into the thousands though lol) it would have a practical focal length of 800mm, which is about 16x

there is a sigma 50-500mm lens that is under 1,000 but it's heavy..

i'm getting a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO lens in a couple weeks, that's around 200 dollars, and i've heard good things about it...

that, with the crop will be about 480mm,or 9.6x zoom...

hope this helps

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:00 PM   #4

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
I have moved from Fuji to Minolta and grown tired of being disappointed. I am going to get a Dig Rebel and I was wondering how much zoom the 55mm lens will give me. Can I use any additional Canon brand lens? I just want something sharp and cheap and equivilant to a 10x zoom on a regular digital camera. Thanks for the help in advance.

55mm won't give you much zoom at all, as was illustrated by the posts above. You get the equivalent of an 88mm zoom, which is about 1.5 times (I dare not use the letter "x") the field that the human eye sees. WHat the 18-55mm does give is a fairly inexpensive wide angle lens (that is VERY handy to have, expecially on digital cameras).

Your second question was what additional lenses can you use. You can use any lenses that are designed to fit the Canon "EF" mount -- there are tons. There are also third party lens makers, like Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, and (well, I probably shouldn't even mention) Phoenix that make lenses for the EF mount canons.

We all want lenses that are sharp, cheap, and can extend from 50-500mm, and that focus in an instant, open all the way up so you don't need a flash, and tell us in nine languages that our picture looks "gooood." But that's not the real world. With SLR lenses, you'll have to pay to get the best sharpness... and SLR users are usually more picky about what "best" means... with that said... if you're willing to spend $300-$800 you can get one quite nice or two "okay" lenses. As Vito said, Sigma makes a 50-500mm lens that (some) people say is OK. That, along with your 18-55 would give you a HUGE zoom range. Also, you can invest in some nicer, shorter lenses, like a 70-200mm and then get, say a 2x coupler to increase the magnification. Many people like that idea. But good couplers and nice lenses are not cheap. If you don't want to invest (as I'm learning, lenses are an INVESTMENT) then stay with quality point and shoots.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:18 PM   #5

Well...the rebel might be too much camera for me. I can see myself never beeing happy with my lens. I might just go another route. Thanks for the insight.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:59 AM   #6

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:

i'm getting a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO lens in a couple weeks, that's around 200 dollars, and i've heard good things about it...

that, with the crop will be about 480mm,or 9.6x zoom...

hope this helps

Vito

Vito what does the APO stand for in that lens?? Im stressing over lens confusion real bad here. Im looking at a 75-300 usm canon lens, or maybe a 100-300 usm canon lens. Thing is I already own a 90-300 non usm canonlens and Im still wondering if getting any other zoom to 300 is worth it.:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:21 AM   #7
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Vito what does the APO stand for in that lens?? Im stressing over lens confusion real bad here. Im looking at a 75-300 usm canon lens, or maybe a 100-300 usm canon lens. Thing is I already own a 90-300 non usm canon lens and Im still wondering if getting any other zoom to 300 is worth it.:roll:
APO: Apochromatic - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/lenses.htm

FYI http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...rations_01.htm

IMHO there's a 'hole' in Canon (and Nikon) line here and the only one that is worth it is the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX. It comes with HSM, which is fast quiet with full-time manual AF overide, and is the sharpest of any lens in this range period!
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

... the two lenses that you plan to upgrade to are sub-average
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote