Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1

Evening guys... I just got my first dSLR camera opting for the drebel and the 18-55 lens kit. Im looking to get a 2nd lens for my bag that I can learn with and get better at composing shots. My daughter will be born in 3 months or so, so that and the pets will be my usual subjects as well as some landscape and macro shots.

Is it worthwhile to get the 50mm f/1.8 II or would I be better off with a another longer zoom/telephoto lens? Id like to spend no more than say $250 at the most right now..

Thanks
BrianRTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:50 AM   #2

Just my opinion, but go for the 50mm 1.8, or even better, the 50mm1.4. With a new-born baby, you wont want to be shooting with flash and the wide aperture will do nicely. I took loads of my son last year as a new born, with the 1.4 and the shots are great. Be careful of the shallow depth of field though!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. Is there a great deal of differnce between the 1.4 and 1.8 (plastic housing/mount aisde)? Reviews seem to be about the same with most just wishing for a sturdier enclosure and focusing ring on the 1.8. At the II's price point I guess I cant really go wrong.. I can get it from Dell for 67.05 after shipping/tax.. The only thing that might be a worry threre is that I cant tell if its a USA or import model. Does it matter other than price?

thanks again
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

I am British, living in Spain, and have a few US Import lenses and a couple from Hong Kong. No problems with any of them...
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:59 AM   #5

import (gray market) models, you will have warranty problems ... but your safe Dell does not dell gray market products
hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Is there a great deal of differnce between the 1.4 and 1.8 (plastic housing/mount aisde)? Reviews seem to be about the same with most just wishing for a sturdier enclosure and focusing ring on the 1.8
The 1.4 has USM focusing which is faster and quieter. Both have outstanding optics. IMO, the 1.8 is an outstanding bargain and leaves cash for other goodies.

Of course if money's not limited...
NLAVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:49 PM   #7

Well it figures.. I go ahead and order the 50mm f/1.8 from Dell for 67 bucks shipped and its on backorder with it not shipping till Jan 17th or so. Im making a trip to B&H in NYC this weekend to browse and test some larger lenses. Hopefully the 18-55 will allow me to get some nics shots that I can post.

Thanks and have a happy new year!
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:26 AM   #8

I have the 50mm f1.8, and the only two downsides
I have found are the plastic construction, and
a tendancy to flair.

I consider it to be the excellent value that others
do because it is quite sharp and faster than my zoom.

In the meantime, the 18-55 kit lens should be more
than sufficient for the trip.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote