Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:37 PM   #1

If I theoretically wanted to put a crappy lens onto my new 20D and do it a mis-justice, what would be comparable? It was a 37-370mm equivalent of 35mm with a 2.8-3.5 aperature. Is there anything reasonably priced that would give me this for my new camera? Sure, there was some chromatic aberation but all in all, it was nice to just pick up, zoom in, and shoot. It also wasn't huge and had image stabilization. I know this is for a P/S camera but there should be something similar for Digital SLR. Is it because of the larger sensor size, that you can't get this range of zoom and low aperature for a good price?

thanks in advance

Bob
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:41 PM   #2

(edit) Tamron AF28-300MM F/3.5-6.3 XR Di, When you figure in the higher available ISOs, this would be about similar. But it is slower by a full stop or so, but all in all it would be
similar I think.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:39 PM   #3
Administrator

Jasper666 wrote:
Quote:
If I theoretically wanted to put a crappy lens onto my new 20D and do it a mis-justice, what would be comparable? It was a 37-370mm equivalent of 35mm with a 2.8-3.5 aperature. Is there anything reasonably priced that would give me this for my new camera? Sure, there was some chromatic aberation but all in all, it was nice to just pick up, zoom in, and shoot. It also wasn't huge and had image stabilization. I know this is for a P/S camera but there should be something similar for Digital SLR. Is it because of the larger sensor size, that you can't get this range of zoom and low aperature for a good price?
The sensor in your EOS-20D is MUCH larger compared to the sensor in your old Pro 90 IS. As a result, the lenses must be much larger and heavier for any given 35mm equivalent focal length and aperture.

Keep in mind that the actual focal length of the lens on your Pro 90 IS was only 7-70mm, and was focusing the light on a much smaller sensor.

You won't find a single lens for a DSLR model that has the same focal range and brightness that you had in the lens for your Pro 90 IS. They'd be too large and heavy to be practical.

Another reasonably priced "single lens solution"that you may want to take a look at is the Tokina AT-X 242 AF (24-200mm f/3.5-5.6). It would give you a 35mm equivalent focal range of approxiimately 38.4-300mm on your EOS-20D (after the 1.6x crop factor). Of course, it's nowhere near as bright as the lens on your Pro 90 IS.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
You won't find a single lens for a DSLR model that has the same focal range and brightness that you had in the lens for your Pro 90 IS. They'd be too large and heavy to be practical.
Hmm - what about the EF 35-350mm f3.5-5.6 L USM??

OK, it actually is too large to be practical at 1.4kg and costs a pretty penny at $1500+, and of course it's now been discontinued in favour of the even bigger and more expensive 28-300 L.

Some people must really hate changing lenses!

Still if you're quick you might be able to get hold of one in a sale.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote