Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:03 AM   #1

I've been thinking about which wide-angle lens to get and was looking at getting the Tokina 17mm ATX-Pro when I came across a 12-24mm lens listed on the site I buy from.

I can't seem to find much information on the lens, just a few specifications and a lot of people on forums going "goodie, goodie, goodie can't wait to get this lens!!!" (not a direct quote - but close enough!). Here's the link to Tokinas page where you'll find the sum total of information on the subject I could get:

http://www.thkphoto.com/news/news-pr101404.html

It has a constant aperture of f/4.

Focal Length of 12-24mm but can only be used on Digital cameras with a crop factor of 1.5/1.6 - So something in the region of 19-38.5 on a Canon 10D/20D/300D

Has a 77mm filter size

It's listed on some European web-sites at €495 and on US sites at $500

I can't find any reviews, test shots or general opinions anywhere for this lens despite the fact that it's supposed to already be on sale from the 12/04 onwardsand I was hoping some people here are more informed then me. Is anyone else excited about this lens? Finally an affordable wide-angle zoom! Hopefully it will have the image quality to back up it's specifications!

Let me know if you know anything. I'll be holding off on purchasing the Tokina 17mm ATX-Pro until I hear more about this lens...........

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:32 PM   #2

Found something a little more usefull on this lens, check it out here;

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...11/18/462.html

You don't need to install Japanese characters to be able to see the photos.

My enthusiasm for this lens is somewhat dimmed. The lens isn't particularly sharp and it appears to have quite a lot of distortion at the 12mm end. However the 24mm end is more promising, it is sharper and I can't see any major distortion in the image. There are only a few samplesof different subjects at the 12 and 24mm focal lengths. Nothing from a mid-range length so no telling from what point the distortions start reducing to an acceptable level.

There is also quite a deal of chromatic abberations in the 12mm examples though the shots were taken using a Nikon D70 camera so you might get completely different results on a Canon 10/20/300d
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:43 PM   #3

Why is nobody interested in this lens?!

Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:20 PM   #4

I'm wating to see what the new Tamron lens works out like.
I cannot locate anyone selling Tokina in Canada.

I was able to find out this information, but no performance data on the lenses.

CANON EF-S 10-22MM 3.5-4.5 USM, Available now, APS-C only, 1100$cdn
SIGMA 12-24MM F4.5-5.6 EX DG, Available now, ???-?,1050$cdn
Tamron SP 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di-II Ld Aspherical, Available Spring 2005, APS-C only, no price given.
Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus, not available yet, APS-C only, 500$us.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

You have summed up all the ultra-wide angle lenses available to Canon users there. But from my point of view it is the Tokina that is the most interesting by far;

Canon 10-22 - I can't use it because I have a Canon 10d

Sigma 12-24 - Said to be a good lens but it's wayyyy too expensive!

Tamron 11-18 - Not released until Spring, no word on price or on quality

Tokina 12-24 - Cheap lens and available now!

Like I said in a previous post there are distortion problems with the lens at 12mm and it's not particularly sharp either. Thats no biggy. I would be quite happy if there was at least some reduction indistortion from 15-17mm and up, the examples I have seen at 24mm are alright by me.

The only other option for wide angle lenses in this price-range is the Tokina 17mm ATX Pro. And while I've heard this is a good lens I would still like the extra few mm the Tokina 12-24 can give
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:39 PM   #6
NHL

redundo wrote:
Quote:
Sigma 12-24 - Said to be a good lens but it's wayyyy too expensive!
I don't think so (retail for much less): http://www.adorama.com/SG1224EOS.html
... plus it's an EX with HSM, ie fast quiet and full-time manual overide

From its diminutive size I believe the Tokina is a 'digital' lens only (also the 77mm front filter thread) vs the Sigma which is massive at the front: http://www.pbase.com/dhatchner/sigma...s_canon_1740_l

redundo wrote:
Quote:
The only other option for wide angle lenses in this price-range is the Tokina 17mm ATX Pro.
My Sigma 17-35 f/2.8-4 EX also with HSM costs about the same as the 17mm ATX pro :idea:
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:44 PM   #7

The Sigma 12-24 is well regarded from everything i've readabout it, but the sad truth is that anything above 600 Euro is wellbeyond my budget.

I've considered boththe Sigma and Tamron 17-35's but they are around the same price as the Tokina 12-24 so why pay the same money and get a less usefull focal length? If it turns out they were of much higher optical quality I would consider it, but then I would be more interested in getting the fixed focal Tokina 17mm ATX and save myself some money for a few other bits and pieces.

I've also considered the Sigma 15-30mm, but that lens is at the very edge of what I can afford and from what i've read it is a bit cumbersome to handle and tough to find appropriate filters for it.

I thinkmy choice comes down to either the Tokina 12-24or the fixed Tokina 17mm.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:55 PM   #8
NHL

redundo wrote:
Quote:
I've considered both the Sigma and Tamron 17-35's but they are around the same price as the Tokina 12-24 so why pay the same money and get a less usefull focal length?
It costs less in the States... + it's an f/2.8 for early riser and sunset landscapes!
http://www.adorama.com/SG1735NEOS.html vs http://www.adorama.com/TN17PEOS.html

A touch softer @ f/2.8 + less DOF(focus was on driftwood):

Quote:
I've also considered the Sigma 15-30mm, but that lens is at the very edge of what I can afford and from what i've read it is a bit cumbersome to handle and tough to find appropriate filters for it.
This is actually one of the better zooms, alas no HSM. The filtering is very flexible though unlike @ full-frame where you have to use the rear filter - With the 'cropped' digital camera the lens shade serves as the front filter thread by removing the lens cover:
"In fact, the lens is shipped with a hood/ring that slips over the petal and provides an 82mm filter thread (as shipped this is occupied by a lens cap). When attached to the lens, this extra hood does NOT vignette the image on these cameras. This extra hood is not just a lens cap (the cap portion comes off) to be left in the camera bag."
http://www.burren.cx/photo/ultrawide/1530v1740.html
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the info and advice NHL,

I know some of my previous posts sound very gung-ho in favour of the new Tokina lens, which seems daft as there hasn't been a proper review to judge it by yet!

I started off this topic intending it to be a discussion on an interesting new lens thats about to hit the market. Instead it kinda turned into yet another"What lens should I get next?" advice thread!

:?:roll:

I expect this lens is going to be a popular choice for many people in the same situation as myself simply because it is a cheap ultra-wide angle zoom. Even if itturnsout, optically,to bea bit of a lame dogpeople will go for it as there are so few choices in this price range.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:25 AM   #10
NHL

I agree, the Tokina seems to be the cheapest 12-24mm around - and they do make some excellent lenses in their line which I don't mind owning...

The difference is mainly in the ultrasonic focusing mechanisms where both Canon and Sigma seem to have over the two other vendors - plus they are available now in the States especially the Sigma which is priced not much higher than the $499 price of the Tokina (and the Sigma is also a full frame) - IMO it all depends on how theses extra features are worth to each individual