Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:15 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience with either the quantaray 135-400 zoom.the

tamron 28-300 zoom or the sigma 135-400 or 170-500 zooms? I know they are all consumer lenses but I only have $600 max to up grade my zoom. I now have a quantaray 70-300 zoom and although somewhat happy with it I would like some thing a little better. Please give me any advice you have.

Thanks in advance

genohc
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:19 PM   #2

I have the Tamron 28-300, not the latest one but it is still very good value for the money. Best to try before you buy if you can.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:51 AM   #3

I know very little, only that, (1) as a general rule, "super" zooms (with a large difference between their widest and most telephoto settings) are more prone to distortion and vignetting because of the nature of their mechanics; and (2) Tamron ran an advertisement for the 28-300 during a bowl game this weekend (does that mean dSLR is mainstream enough that football ads are worth it?)

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4

Can I ask what you intend to use the zoom for? That could affect people's recommendations. As an example, if you are intending to shoot sports, you're going to need a lense with a constant 2.8 or 4.0 aperture, and focus speed is also going to be an issue. For wildlife, you may have some more flexibility with the aperture but focus speed could also be critical. Let us know what you're shooting and you'll get some good recommendations. The last thing you want to do is spend $600 and STILL not be able to shoot what you want.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:58 PM   #5
NHL

genohc wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with either the quantaray 135-400 zoom.
The Quantaray 135-400 and the Sigma 135-400 is one and the same!

Except for the trademark Quantaray green lettering instead of Sigma gold/white, the two lens are identical... and so are many other Quantaray's, they OEM them from Sigma along others manufacturers
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:06 PM   #6

I usually shoot wildlife photos under fairly good light conditions and although I use high speeds 1/500 plus I am able to get away with 5.6 plusaperture. I tried to upload a phot the other day but alas my computer skills seem to end with photo editing and printing.

genohc
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote