Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:46 AM   #11
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Is it worth changing my canon 90-300mm standard cheap lens for an EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM? will my shots be sharper, easier to take etc. Im considering saving for this lens (Im saving for a few actually) as I take a lot of wildlife and sports shots. I am getting reasonable shots out of the lens I have but know nobody with the more expensive lens to compare shots with. Opinions welcome.
This is where theses lenses stand in relation to one another: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:52 AM   #12

thanks, money wise, looks like Im stuck with the sub-average:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:59 AM   #13
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
thanks, money wise, looks like Im stuck with the sub-average:roll:
Not really - The Sigma AF 4.0-5.6 70-300mm APO Macro Super is at least average (even better than the discontinued Canon EF 5.6 100-300mm L), but with no ultrasonic; However, it does have 'macro' though
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:09 AM   #14
NHL

FYI - The Tokina is also quite affordable
http://photosig.pcphotoreview.com/mo...1_3128crx.aspx
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #15

I would have recommended the Sigma 70-300 APO Super II but there are compatability issues you must consider with this lens.

It was a lens I was strongly considering myself, in fact between the Canon 100-300 and this it was the Sigma that I favoured. However I had the chance to try both of them out side-by-side. Unfortunately the Sigma caused so many "Error 99" lock-ups in my Canon 10d that the lens was less then useless.

Now I was using an old second-hand Sigma so it's quite possible that more recently manufactured models have better compatibility but I would very strongly recommend that you try out the Sigma before buying if you ever consider purchasing it.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:50 PM   #16

The 75-300 USM IS is USM, but you also need to understand there are TWO types of USM- The very nice RING USM- that is the motor where you can go from auto focus to manual and back to AF without switching the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel, and then there is MICRO USM, which is a type of USM, but does still require the AF/MF switch to be flipped before doing any manual focusing. It's a sort of cheap USM that in real use is not much better than a non-USM lens. It's real use is to Canon, who can mount it on cheap lenses and market them as USM to the masses.

Guess which USM motor is in the 75-300 IS USM- The MICRO USM, meaning the AF performance is still below the standard of a RING USM equipped lens. Read users reports (see attached site) on AF speed and performance- for the most part it's pretty below average and not too good for any type of subject that moves. Different users have different expectations and different levels of acceptability, but there are certain threads that are common among most reviews of this lens. One such view is that between 75-200mm this is an OK lens, but from 200-300mm it leaves much to be desired.

http://photographyreview.com/pscLens...8_3128crx.aspx
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote