Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:34 PM   #21

I made a shoot today with a new 17-85. I helped a friend with soem tests, he wasn't so experienced and asked me to help.

Well, is not as sharp as 17-40, i like more the images taken by 17-40. But 17-85 is at least decent quality, although not as good at extreme shoprt and long focals...i compare it with 17-40 ofcourse...

So is a good option after all, still i prefer longer all situation 28-135 IS.

I mentain my opinion.

Regarding NHL opinion i respect it, offcourse. Still let's consider that cameras in short time will have the same CMOS dimension like classic 35mm...i think not more than 2 years from now.

So i think orientation for 28-35 is a wise decision. Anyway, i think choosing 17-85 or 28-135 you will not regret it. Is natural to go for more than one lense, the experience will raise your needs..so think at that too when you spend money for lenses..think on longer term...
parintele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:37 AM   #22

I finally got my 20d. It's an amazing d-slr! I also finally switched my 28-105 for the 28-135 IS. And have ordered a 17-40 f/4L which I should get in 7-10 days. The reasong for my final selection in giving the 17-85 a miss was that I also have a eos 30 body and plan to use the 17-40 on that too for really wide angles when i go for tours of places with architectural wonders and monuments of the earlier era. now i must start saving for the 100-400 is usm L for the wildlife vacations(presently i use the 75-300 USM IS). That would complete the lens range for my needs.

Thanks to all for helping me in my decision.

jhsurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:15 PM   #23

Congratulations for your choice...Good luck and good inspiration. waiting for result of your work...

Also good choice for 100-400 L ..is a nice peice for the price.

AS i told you i own a 70-200 f7 with a 1.4 x TC but still i am, thinking at something longer..

My first option for my 20D was Bigma as is cheaper at resonable quality and it's main bad issue which is vignetting is not such a big issue on 1.6 magnifing factor..

But also i am considering 100-400 L, certain bettrer quality ...

I am not decided yet so when you get your 100-400 please let us know your impressions.

Being a wild life amateur i dear to invite you in romania-Danube Delta, the biggest natural reservation in Europe...I will be your guide It worth to spend a vacation in here...

Good luck.
parintele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:40 PM   #24

Thanks parintele for your kind words. The 100-400L will take quite a while though.($$$). This is my first plunge into the digital realm and I guess there is steep learning curve in the D-SLR segment. Guess I will have to put in a lot of time and effort to master the features.

This forum has helped me in my decisions and for that I'll be always grateful.

Thanks for invitation!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:08 PM   #25

I am new to all this. I am planning on purchasing a 20D as well. I am confused with all these abbreviations:
EF, EF-S, IS, USM. Can someone help clarify?
I realize that IS stands for Image Stabilization, but what exactly is it? Is there a CPU inside the lens that scans through algorithms to correct the image?

Can the 20D take lens from a film SLR? I read that EF-S can only work on 20D and 300D, but not any other camera. What lenses can work on the 20D?

What does it mean when there is only one focal length mentioned for the lens description? (i.e. Canon EF 15mm f2.8 FISHEYE)

Does that mean the image will only focus properly for that focal length and none other? (No zooming?)

Thanks.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:00 AM   #26

EF = Extended focus

EF-S = Ef + ‘short back focus' - this is for only 20D and 300D. Because of the smaller sensor size(compared to 35mm film), the mirror size is small so it is possible to bring the back element of the lens nearer to "film" plane. If this lens is used on a normal full-frame camera body, the flip of the mirror can damage or even break the lens glass!

USM = Ultra Sonic Motor

IS uses a technology of moving elemnt of glass in the body of the lens so that when there is a vibration, the glass element is steady. Visit the canon site for full pictorial description.

All EF and Ef-S lenses work on the 20D.

Canon EF 15mm f2.8 means that it has no ZOOM. There is only one angle of view. The field of view is constant. You can only change the aperture. You cannot change the focal length. Hence they are called the fixed-focal-length lenses. These are also called PRIME lenses and are usually better optically than the zooms. But with today's technology, even the zooms offer quite a good quality of images. You can read a lot on these topics on the net. One such site is photo.net.