Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:40 AM   #1

I purchased a Canon 70-200f4 L to replace my 28-135IS.

Big error on my part. Just can't hold it steady enough. Please do not state the obvious about IS version.

Lens is two weeks old. What is honest value?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Please PM me as this is not intended as a thread.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:33 PM   #2

I assume you haven't checked to see if you can still return it? 2 weeks is a little long, but not for some stores.

Check on:
www.keh.com

Note that they don't pay to buy it at that price but they'll sell it at that price. My understanding is that its a reputable place. B&H has a used area as well (so I've read, I've never checked it) so that might give you another price data point.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:44 PM   #3

Depends on the policy of the place you bought it from, but most of the Brick&Mortar places I deal with would have no problem taking it back if you were swapping it for something else more expensive.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:40 PM   #4

Why not use a monopod or tripod? But even then you should still be able to hand-hold in lighting conditions that will allow a shutterspeed of 1/60th of a second. And don't be afraid to bump up the ISO rating and make full use of the f/4 aperture!

It would be a worse mistake to return the lens only to find out at a later time that you could get used to hand-holding the lens with a bit of practice.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:39 AM   #5

Redundo- A few others have counselled me with the same thoughts as yours.

I reckon I am just venting initial frustration. This time of year, many outdoor venues are not available for shooting. So many dull, dark, solid cloudy days are affecting the shooting environment. I've got another couple of months of this and it is probably influencing my thinking (or lack of it). After 40+ years of shooting, you would think I would understand seasonal restrictions.

Thanks for your response.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:36 PM   #6

Over the years I have boughttwo digital cameras in September/October. And it annoys me no end when I am sitting inside on myone and onlyday off because outside it is a typical rainy, overcast and crappy december day. You think I would have learned after buying the first camera in october, but no, I went ahead and got my next camera at the exact same time of year!

The second camera is a Canon 10d, so I put a lot of money into it and i've not taken more then 600 pics in two months. The one good side to this is that at least you are well prepared and used to the equipment by the time summer and good lighting conditions come around again!

It is only my personal opinion, but I would be inclined to keep the current lens until I was certain it didn't suit. If I then found out it wasn't for me I would happily sell it second-hand.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:25 PM   #7

Thanks REDUNDO - As usual "cooler heads prevail"

Advice well given and received !
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:19 PM   #8

I have that lens and love it. I also had a little trouble holding it at first but practise makes perfect and at 200mm I am now pretty steady.
timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:56 PM   #9

Another fringe benefit is that you can now give up your Gym membership and still look the doctor in the eye when he asks you if you've been taking regular exercise! Carryinga big heavy lens around all day will do more for your health then all the fancy exercise machines an expensive Gymcould provide!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:01 PM   #10

Seti, are you sure that it's really you that is the problem with this lens? I ask because I just bought a 70-200/4 from B&H almost 2 weeks ago and have been having similar reservations. However, I also bought a 300/4 w/ 1.4x TC and have had sharp focus while handholding that, even at 420mm (albeit with IS)!

Surely, the 70-200/4 with no ISbutat the much lower focal lengths should be able to be handheld at decent shutter speeds, right? Well, it wasn't so for me, and when I looked into it I found that that lens was consistently missing focus to front or back. I then found out from some other online friends that they'd heard that a batch of those lenses had gotten out from Canon with focusing problems - I must have gotten one of them. My lens is going back to B&H for an exchange and hopefully I'll get a new one in correct working order!

Look at my last posted picture in this thread to see the focusing problems I had and see if it matches what you are seeing from your lens:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...226458#p226458
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote