Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1

These are the two lenses Im looking at, they are the only ones Im able to get second hand at a reasonable price. I am more likely to get the 100-300 lens at a better price. I need some sort of unbiased opinion as to which would be the better deal. I take a lot of wildlife but also take shots of surfing (my son), Kart racing and show jumping. Is the Image stabilization as great as it's made out, I have a reasonably steady hand.

I am not in a position to try before I buy.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:20 AM   #2

I've got both, actually my wife hasa year old75-300, and I have an original 100-300usm bought first day it was on the market. So it is as old as the hills now.

In my opinion, the 100-300 seems to be build more solidly than the 75-300. The 100-300 I have is metal and feels it, the 75-300 feels plastickey.The 100-300 seems to be slightly better optically, though neither is very sharp at 300mm. They both exhibit the self extension problem if you point them down.

IMHO: the 75-300IS is an inexpensive 200$cdn lens made expensive by the addition of IS. So I'd say itdepends on if you really need the IS or not.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:04 AM   #3
NHL

IMO you should hold on to the $ and save up for a better lens:

1. Optically you won't improve from what you already have
2. All the lenses in the price range you're shopping for are starters -> and why they have so many of them used: people sell theses as they move up! (try to find a good lens used - kind of rare hey? People hold on to the better ones)
3. IS is not going to help in action shots (ie Kart racing and show jumping)

Also the camera does the focusing and not the lens! like many people here have told you before. 'USM' does not automatically means faster: with a micro-USM there's still set of gears to move (ie not as fast and not as quiet) unlike a ring USM which is a direct drive -> full-time manual overide

PS here's an example of IS at work - Static object will be in focus, but not moving subject because of the slower shutter speed: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1p...ing-past.shtml
... If you have to set a higher shutter speed anyway to freeze the action then IS is kind of redundant! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:44 AM   #4

Thanks, Im leaning towards getting the 100-300 USM, mainly because from what Ive read this lens is much better than what I have and I do want the usm, Im sure most people who own one would not go backwards to what I have. I can do without IS (I think) and hopefully will sometime get an L lens.

Your right there are very few of the really good ones going second hand.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:45 AM   #5

PS, sorry if I have been a pain.:roll: I think I know enough about the whole thing now:-)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6

Actually both those lenses have a USM motor.
The 75-300IS has the USM micro motor, and the 100-300usm has a ring USM with full time manual focus.

I found a couple of fairly good reviews of these lenses.
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/75-300IS/
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/x-300.html

Reading these reviews I was right the 75-300 is made of a plastic construction.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote