Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:34 PM   #11

Well,

These are some great suggestions. I pesronally have a 17-40L, 28-135 and Sigma 70-200 2.8, and here's what I have found compared to your stated desires:

body - $800 -

28-135 - $400 - great all-around lense. 17-40 is too short for all the shots with people and 70-200 is just too big to have on for 90% of the time.

85mm 1.8 - $330 - for indoor dance recitals. The 50mm may prove to be too short. The 85mm also makes a great portrait lense.

$1550 minus 450 in rebates = 1100

$80 for UV filters for the two lenses

$80 for camera bag

$100 for 1Gb CF card

Take the remaining $400 and save up for the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ($700) - it's $120 more than the Canon f4, and you'll get more lense for your money. Or if you must have Canon, then save for the Canon 70-200 f4 or f2.8 (although remember the f4 does NOT come with a tripod collar - which is $120 which means the price is the same as the Sigma and you lose one stop).

Even if you don't want to go that route, I would say the 17-40 should be the last lense you get - it is the least useful for the pictures you want to take.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:30 PM   #12

I second eosthree's selection. What a great chance to get a couple of very nice lenses, and more or less end the speculation of "should I get better lenses". Many many people have this set, adding only the 50 1.8 typically. And most of us paid full price, without the rebates.

To that set, I added the 1.4x TC myself. You can always do this later, or even skip it if you don't need the reach.

It's a mistake in my opinion to choose lesser lenses just because they cover every mm of focal length. Practical photography uses a subset of the focal length, and with digital processing, cropping is easier than every. The 17-40 alone is good for about 90% of my photography. The 50 is not there to just add another focal length -- it's more so as a fast lens that can give more background blur for portraits.

Now, this assumes that you're going to be happy with the 300D. If you're going to be crushed if a 300D II (with whatever improved specs) is announced at the end of February, then you either need to forgo the rebate offer, or have a plan for upgrading the 300D -- perhaps your retailer hasa decent upgrade plan. Quite possibly, you'll lose some of the advantage of the rebate if you choose to do this.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:19 PM   #13
gpp

i just bought my rebel also because of the rebates.ibought the 28- 135 after all the good remarks on the differant forumns.i also bought the 50 mm 1.4 bacause of the rebate and i take alot of indoor pictures.i will also probably by the 75-300 is also and a tamron 1.4 converter.you will need the 1 g card by all means.
gpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 5:39 PM   #14

Quote:
It's a mistake in my opinion to choose lesser lenses just because they cover every mm of focal length. Practical photography uses a subset of the focal length, and with digital processing, cropping is easier than every.
Madwand - I'm not saying the 17-40 isn't great - it is. But in my personal experience it wasn't long enough to be my standard lense. As for the 28-135 being a 'lesser lense' - you'll find a lot of very happy customers on this forum who use this exact lense as their walk-around - and yes some of them (like me) have other 'L' lenses that just aren't as convenient.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:19 PM   #15

JohnG, my remarks weren't specifically against any other recommendations here, just general advice. In my own shooting so far, the gaps between 40 and 50 and 50 and 70 haven't been signficant. That doesn't override your own experience by any means, but is a possible consideration for others.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:57 PM   #16

Perfect agreement, madwand. The most important thing is having the 'right tool for the job'. There are a lot of GREAT lenses out there, but no lense is the end-all-be-all. So much depends on what the photographer wants to shoot. That's the great thing about this forum - you arent just talking to your 1 friend who is a photographer, you're getting multiple opinions.

One thing that might be usefull - if you are going to spend 600-800 USD on a lense you might want to see if a local store rents them out (usually will cost you $40 but hey it's better than spending $700 and buying a lense too long or too short for your all-around needs. The 'all-around' is the most important lense in your arsenal, so why not get it right the first time (first time you can afford to that is :G)?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:20 PM   #17

I got the 300D in July last year, the package included the kit lens 18-55 which I will keep as it has given me some really nice shots, and a 90-300mm lens which I have used more than anything else for wildlife and portraits. I have just upgraded that to a USM 100-300 and will probably get the 28-135 usm or the 28-105 usm as a walkabout lens. I also want to get a 50mm lens.

I would suggest keeping the kit lens and getting a 75-300 lens for the sports shots and then you would cover a fair range of Zoom, I would then save up for anything else that you want. Once you use the camera you will then be able to judge any downfalls of this choice and look into some others lenses when you have the money.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote