Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1

I am considering a new lens for my drebel and have narrowed it down to 2. Either the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX or the Canon 70-200 f/4L. My price range is around $600-$800 so if anyone knows of a better lens in this range let me know. I shoot mostly documentary style things in low light.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:27 AM   #2
NHL

Rob

All I can say is this: Don't judge a book by its cover!

You already have the EF500DG Super, It's cheaper and much more useful than an equally priced 420EX (or a higher priced 550EX) - The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX is somewhat similar: It won't have the look or 'feel' of a white L, instead it has a non-scratch soft black ZEN finish, but most of us here had amazing results with that lens:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...49&forum_id=11

If you can live with an f/4, a better lens would be the Sigma 100-300 f/4 - It's super sharp! :idea:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel
... and still good with a 1.4x TC (ie 420mm @ f/5.6)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:51 AM   #3

IMHO, I would suggest the Sigma - you are getting more for your money than the Canon. You're getting the extra stop which could be critical in your low-light shooting. You also get a tripod collar included ($120 extra for the Canon). You can get the Sigma for around $700 from Abes of Maine or Digital Foto Club or $800 from B&H if you prefer. But the bottom line is the lense produces quality results on par with the Canon 2.8 (not just the 4.0). But it's also a heavier lense than the Canon 4.0. You also have the added advantage of using a 1.4x teleconverter on the Sigma and STILL have f 4.0. The only (very minor) knock I have on my sigma is the placement of the zoom ring - it's right on top of the tripod collar - so if you have the collar on, zomming takes a little getting used to. Solved that easily enough by removing the collar when I know I will shoot hand held. Good luck - I'm not sure you can make a bad decision here!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:18 AM   #4
NHL

JohnG

The Sigma is only heavier as compared to an f/4 - Both Canon f/2.8's have comparable weight as the Sigma, this has to do with the larger optic to collect more light. Remember f/ is the ratio of the diameter of the lens opening over its focal lenght?

I agree that the lower cost of the f/4 is somewhat offset by the price of the tripod collar(if you need it)... - Guess where the zoom rings are on the Canon's?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:24 AM   #5

Ok, I was leaning more towards the Sigma, but I wanted to hear from people that have used it. Thanks for your input.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:00 PM   #6

You already made your mind up but just in case you have second thought... I love my Sigma 70-200 EX... it's my workhorse...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote