Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

I need some recommendations in upgrading lens for a Canon Digital Rebel. I presently have:

18-55 kit lens

Canon 85-135 IS lens

Canon 75-300 lens

My first upgrade will be primarily for lanscape and general close shots. I am thinking of the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens, but I'm not sure how much sharper it will be vs my 85-135 IS lens and it may not be wide enough for some lanscape shots. I also have considered the Canon 17-85 IS lens but I haven't been able to find very much feedback on this lens.Is the image quality any sharper than the28-135 IS lens? I am wondering if in the long run I would be better off in getting an L lens although it would put a big squeeze on my budget at present.

I would appreciate any suggestion anyone may have on this.

harryp
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2

If you check around the Sports & Action forum Mr_Saginaw has been posting there and he uses the Tamron 28-75 F28.8 XR DI for some of his work.

It is also the lens I picked. It is very sharp, fast and holds up well to the Canon equivalent 28-75 L but at 1/3 the price, probably because it does not have a USM ring motor.

The Canon 17-40F4L is also a very good and not very expensive high end lens.

Yes the image quality is much better on the high end lenses with their special glasses and coatings than the standard lenses. There is a Lens test website that provides tables of optical performance for a huge number of lenses and allows easy comparison of their quality.

I hear the high end SIGMA's are also supposed to be quite good, there are many on this forum who use them, and like them a lot.

For closeups there are two I would consider at the moment the Sigma 180mm macro and the Tamron 180mm macro. Both are fixed focal length, but are supposed to be extremely good.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks PeterP for your input. The Tamron seems like a possible candidate for my purpose. I am hoping for some comments from some of the 17-85 IS owners.

harryp
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote