Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

Is there a lens that I could use for indoor low light built in flash pics that would help overcome the 20d's problem in this case. Underexposed pics A lens that is for this purpose only I'm new to SLR and I'm thinking one with a F-1.8 might help or am I wrong in thinking this way
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:34 PM   #2

I am far from a pro, but if you are going to use a flash anyway, then have you considered just buying a good external flash? That way the lense is less important. I have a 300D, and unless they improved the internal flash greatly on the 20D, the internal flash just plain sucks. Just another approach
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:17 PM   #3

The underexposure doesn't have really anything to do with the lens... normally... The underexposure is due to the way the camera is metering the scene.

What model do you have? If you have say a 10D or 20D learn how to use the Flash Exposure Comp... if you have the DRebel learn about the AEL (FEL) or possibly the nifty program that allows your computer to adjust the FEC...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:27 PM   #4
NHL

It also has to do with distance - if your subject is too far then...

-> The light from the flash decreases as it travels and spreads proportionaly to the square of the distance traveled
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:43 PM   #5

I have the 20d Thanks for the adviceDon't want to waste money on a lens if it wouldn't help So then do a flash exposure lock on something on the dark side in my pic and then take the picture?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6

Was I wrong in saying flash exposure lock I think that works to correct using it the way I said (using a dark area) but flash exposure comp that would be where I step up the flash exposure which one should I use most shots are within 10' indoor:roll: I know this built in flash can supply enough light because if I do a FEL on something black in my pic it blows out everything white in the pic Just need to know the right way to go about getting the exposure I'm after :roll:

Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:27 AM   #7

I find on my 20D that if I leave my flash exposure comp. set to +2/3 I usually get pretty good results. Here's an example from this weekend. I was very surprised how well this came out... This is how it came out of the camera... just did a little USM and resize.. all i did was set FEC to +2/3.

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:27 AM   #8
NHL

HeidiandHans wrote:
Quote:
Was I wrong in saying flash exposure lock I think that works to correct using it the way I said (using a dark area) but flash exposure comp that would be where I step up the flash exposure which one should I use most shots are within 10' indoor:roll: I know this built in flash can supply enough light because if I do a FEL on something black in my pic it blows out everything white in the pic Just need to know the right way to go about getting the exposure I'm after :roll:
You're exactly correct!

The problem is cameras meters are calibrated for neutral grey -> if you FEL on some thing brighter than the tone of a grey card the camera will 'think' it's too bright hence will underexposed - skin tone is close to grey, but some are more fair than others, while some are quite dark after a suntan...

Exposure compensation also works, but you have to be aware that the meter still measure the same way you are just compensating for what the camera 'think' is a calibrated grey tone when it's not!

... The problem people are seeing this issue more with flash is this illumination come from only one source which is affected by the distance unlike natural light which is more even across the whole depht of the picture, but the camera still meter the same! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:58 AM   #9

Saginaw, what a great shot. can't believe how well you naild that. Has to be a tough shot to meter too with the water and light colored tub and, it appears, walls. I did notice you did not put NUDE on the heading though, LOL

Was wondering if you used bounce or direct flash. Also are you using the 20d or something else. How did you set the 2/3 program up in your camera. Is in one of the manual or auto modes? I would like to set this up in my 20d but am not sure if I can make it permanent or need to do it each time I use flash. :idea:

Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:37 AM   #10

I'm wondering if the white tub & water helped with the+2/3 exposure, since the cameras meterwould be busytrying to underexpose them. I find the opposite to work for me in normal room type settings, I generally set -2/3to -1 onmy flash (Sigma 500DG super).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote