Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:04 PM   #1

Hi,

I've currently got the following two lenses:-

Sigma 35-50 1:3.5-5.6 DC
Sigma 28-105 Aspherical

I'm not overly impressed with the pictures I've taken with them, it's probably me! But, I'd like to get the 24-70 but in the UK it's over £1000 but I've found it on eBay for:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...869617326&rd=1

What are your thoughts on the 24-70 lens?

My favorite lens is my 70-200L IS one!

The problem I have is that even with the 70mm I need to stand too far back to get everything in the frame so want to get a lens that I can get everything in shot!

I hope I've managed to explain myself okay?

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:04 PM   #2

The 24-70/2.8 is Canon's best zoom among the wide and normal range zooms. At the wide end on a 1.6 crop DSLR like my 10D it is a little too long to have it be your widest lens. I currently own the 17-40L and am thinking seriously about buying a 24-70/2.8 as my normal zoom for wedding and travel, using my 17-40 as my wide angle lens. It's performance is truly amazing by all accounts. The one negative for me to overcome is that of weight- it is heavy as heck. My 17-40 f4L feels like a feather-weight compared to it. Of course, the 24-70/2.8 feels OK when I compared it to my 100-400L.

If you can live with the weight the Canon 24-70/2.8 is as good as it gets. For a lot less money, if you can live with a third-party alternative, both Sigma and Tamron sell fast f2.8 zooms in the same focal length range.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3

Carl,
Like Greg mentioned, the EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM is a great lens. I use it as my normal lens on a 10D and a 1Ds. It's heavy but is very sharp--the zoom range is very convenient for me. On the 1Ds, you get a true 24mm view and on the 10D it becomes a 38mm--not real wide but may be acceptable for your shooting. It's expensive but worth it if image quality is a high priority.

I also have the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM--another great lens.

Good luck :-)
xjetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:25 PM   #4

Thanks for that. However, I've been chatting to my mate who helps me with my photo stuff and he commented about the fact that it's the 35-50 that I'm not happy with as it's a "cheap as chips" lens.

He's recommended the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, still giving me a wider angle than the 24-70 for what I want to do.

So! I've got that lens from Park Cameras, off the net.

It's saved me a few hundred £'s and should allow me what I want to do. It arrives Monday of next week and I've got a bike race to go to during the 12th/13th. One of the racers want photo's of his bike all stickered up to send to his sponsors. So, I'll see if this new lens does what I want it to do. I'll try to post some images to show you if they are any good.

Think I'll try to sell the two Sigmas on the first post and a Canon 75-300mm USM f4/5.6 as a job lot!

Cheers guys,
Carl.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:06 PM   #5

Hi,

I got my new lens the Sigma 18-50mm.

Did some photo's in my kitchen and other rooms of the house, it's far superior than my other wide lenses.

I'll be using it at weekend so I'll post some images on here if they are good.

Carl.