Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:40 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a macro lens for tmy digireb and wonder which would be the best option? I know you can do macro work with either a macro lens, close up filters attached to the front of the lens or bellows or extention tubes. A lot of option which would be the best?

genohc
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:49 AM   #2
NHL

Look @ what Lin Evans can do with an all puupose 70-300mm macro lens : http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...12&forum_id=79

... a close-up filter or a bellow allow you to push the minimum distance (or ratio), you'll lose the AF/AE capability with a bellow, so they have specialized extension tube(s) for this purpose.
FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...70&forum_id=66 :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

What kink of macro work do you want to do? What working distance will you require,is Bokeh an important issue. Will you be working inside or out doors where spooking insects is an issue?

Attached Images

Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:39 PM   #4

lol, misinformation on my part in the thread you linked to...
the sigma 70-300mm is 1:2 i believe...but it would end up being closer to 1:1 with the crop...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:57 PM   #5

This is a very good image and it is the type of working distance and subject matter.

I have a quantaray 70-300- macro and have done some fair images and if I ever figure out how to attache images will start to show them with my questions

genohc
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Super Moderator

you may want to look into sigma's excellent 105mm f2.8 macro... or Tamron's equally impressive 90mm f 2.8.. both give you 1:1 ratioand are relatively easy on the pocketbok.. i think they both focus down to 8-10 inches, not exactly sure on that one off the top of my head...

my typing is not good today.... had to edit twice...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:25 PM   #7

I second the recommendation of the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro. I have had mine for more than a year now, and love it! It is my most solidly performing lens (and at the moment my longest). Here is a sample with it and my 10D:

Enjoy!

David

Edited for spelling

Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Super Moderator

very very nice gandalf.. is it difficult to produce that magic and press the shutter at the same time or do you use self-timer :?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:11 AM   #9

Tomsch,

Please tell us what lens and method you used for that shot. I thought it was fantastic. Looks like a fair old depth of field in that shot too. How did you achieve it, I'd be very interested, as I have not managed this in my efforts so far?

Excellent and well done.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:03 PM   #10

That shot was done with a Sigma 180mm macro lens. The distance was between 19 and 20 inches, the working range of that lens. This Blue Dasher picked a very stout water plant to roost on which allowed me to use a f16 at 1/45th. Had he landed on a light weight plant I would not have been able to shoot that slow as the shot would have been spoiled by motion blur. As it turned out I have another shot at f8 at 125th that the far wing tips are not in focus so I was indeed lucky to be where I was when he entered the scene. I had set up to shoot a water lily when he landed. He was actually too close at first, about 16 inches, I had to slide the tripod back a couple of inches to get focus lock. This guy had been mating with a female when I got there and I didn't take notice of his perch as I was looking at the lily. Once I set up the equipment and settled in ,He did not seem to mind me that close to him as he was more interested in the female. He would fly with her and come right back to the same perch even though I was that close. It was a remarkable day.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote