Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:52 PM   #21

Greg Chappell I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you.
Quote:
Never fails to amaze me the same stories you hear about this lens- never use it at 400mm, never use it at 400mm wide open (f5.6), too soft at 400mm f5.6. Enough already.
I and several people I know (actually know them in person) have all found the 100-400 to be less sharp at 400 than backed off a touch. You might have gotten lucky with a better than average lens. We might have gotten unlucky and gotten a worse than average lenses. But please don't tell us "enough already" because to us we are right. That attitude (at least, it certainly looks like attitude I can't hear the tone of voice) is not necessary. State your experience, don't denegrate ours.

For the vast majority of lenses on the planet they are sharper when stopped down a bit. It's a fact of life. Heck, canon explicitly states it as so on their web site. Look at the MTF charts for this lens:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...0&modelid=7344

We didn't say it wasn't good at f5.6. I've certainly shot a lot at that aperture. All that was said was that it was better at f8. Good enough is in the eye of the beholder (thanks for those example pictures, that gives him an idea of at least what it can do.) In fact, I just reread this thread and no one say to "never use it at 400mm wide open (f5.6)" before your statement.

As to taping the pins, I agree that actually putting tape over the contacts isn't a good idea. So I put a small tab of paper with tape over it. I taped it such that the "tab" covered the pins. No icky residue left on the contact. Personally, I found this almost useless, though. The AF hunted & occiliated (SP?) so badly that the shot was gone before I had a chance.

Either way, Golfer, the 100-400 is a good lens. It can produce very good results when you take advantage of it's virtues (easily hand-held, take advantage of that zoom to get proper framing, take advantage of the close focusing distance.) I haven't sold my copy now that I have something better (in fact, I'm going to spend money on it to get it repaired!)

Now go have fun.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:18 AM   #22

Trout guy, get your ISO up to 400 or 800 and shutter speed up around 3-500. That really helps get clearer hand held, even with IS.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:01 AM   #23

I did take one shot of the gas meter at ISO 400 (can't remember the EXIF data) and it appeared about the same to me but I didn't do a crop to really see. I'll do more this afternoon and post the results.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:37 PM   #24

Here are two more of my now ever so popular gas meter:lol::lol:

I had IS on but did cheat and rest the lens on a bean bag on the deck railing. Distance was still 75' for both.

400mm
1/400
Av f11
ISO 800
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:39 PM   #25

Last image of the dreaded gas meter

400mm
1/250
Av f16
ISO 800

Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:52 PM   #26

Trout Guy; we gotta find you something to take a picture of besides gas meters. LOL.. Never know though they might become a new art object.

Eric; thanks for the input. My lense was better than I thought it would be on the duck shot at 400, but there is nothing to compare it with.

It would be nice if this one is one of the sharper also, but either way, I need to work with what I got.

Thanks, guys for your wonderful input.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:50 PM   #27

Hello Golfer!

I've been Using the 100-400L for the past 3 months, mostly handheld with Very Good Results!

Let's Try this Again!! Shots Below are wDrebel @ 100 ISO - Program Mode!

Handheld-300mm-IS-f6.3:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...32365101nafVky

Handheld-400mm-IS-f5.6:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...09778327bsotyt

AndFinally using a Manfroto Monopod-400mm-IS-5.6:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...32386875UuSkbq

Open Images in "View Full Size" for the DETAILS!!!

Really Love the Sharpness, Reach, Color, Contrast and Bokeh of the 100-400!!

Ted

theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:50 PM   #28

I don't know, the gas meter is growing on me.

The easiest way to detect lens sharpness (in tests, not the real world, as you'll see) is to photograph something like a news paper. The small type is great for showing up softness. Do it on a tripod with good lighting and it takes 10 minutes. Just don't do it when the refridge is on, as its compressor will shake the floor.

But the reality is that what really matters is shooting in the real world. If its sharp enough, then don't waste another though on it and go out and shoot. That is the entire point, after all.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:55 PM   #29

Ted, we're locked out of your images.

Critiquing my own two shots above; it appears the first shot at 1/400 @ f11 is much sharper. There was some sun but hidden by clouds. I used a bean bag rest on my rear deck railing and I'm getting the idea that the faster the shutter the better as compared to the second shot at 1/250 @ f16.

I promise no more gas meters:whack:

TG
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:13 PM   #30

Thanks TG!

Reloaded for the files to Open Successfully!

Ted
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote