Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

Got the 100x400 lense today, wondered if any of you who have been using this lense could help me reduce my learning curve.

Any suggestions on good bokeh.
How to shoot birds.
Is there a sweet spot.

Anything would be helpful. Thank you:?:?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:18 PM   #2

Ditto that for me; I received my 100-400 with my 20D body a couple weeks ago but so far haven't had the time to experiment with either. That being said, sure is a lot of reading to do:whack::whack:
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3

In most 100-400's that I've heard of they get much sharper with just a bit of pull back. Use it a 380mm or so.

Learn good hand holding technique. Sure, you'll do better with a tripod but it is fairly useable without. It's not only about how you hold the lens, but how you position your body. You off leg slightly forward, torso slightly turned, elbos in against your body. Press slightly into your face, lean slightly in with your head.

Don't forget about the clutch to stop the zoom from sliding. It's really annoying when you lower the lens and the zoom slides.

I found the best way to carry it was cradeling it like you would a baby. Since I'm right handed, I laid it up my left arm with the body on my left hand, my right hand holding where the grip is (basically.) That way it isn't stressing the lens mount (that much weight hanging from the body) and I can very quickly bring it up to my face.

The lens isn't that heavy... but it isn't light either. I recommend a better, more padded neck strap.

Beyond that... enjoy. While not an amazing lens, it's a good one. I had a lot of fun when it was my long lens... I miss some of the freedom it gave.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4

Adding towhat Eric said, lenses usually produce their sharpest images 1 or 2 stops from wide open. Maybe F8 for that lens.

For the bokeh use the widest aperture and longest lens setting to knock out the background.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:09 AM   #5

Great tips Guys.

Thank you.....thank you very much
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6
NHL

FYI -
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...04-04-04.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:12 PM   #7

Trout man - congrats on your new lense. Have you been able to try it yet?
Eric: Interesting, I went out with the lense today to see what I could find and found I was carrying the cameera just as you describe.
Peter: I think you hit the naile on the F stop. Tried F8 and seemed to work well.
NHL: Thanks for the help.
Questions: Have heard you can tape contacts when using an adaptor and still have auto focus. Anyone done this. Which contacts?
The lense seems to auto focus very quickly and is sharp.
Thaks for your help.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:43 PM   #8

Can't remember if I saw it, complete with photos, in here or FM Forum. I do remember you have to tape the left three contacts as you are looking at the camera body. I've done a search here and at FM and just can't seem to come up with it...anyone else?? I don't think I would like putting tape on my contacts though, residue and all that.

Nope haven't had the time to try the 100-400 as yet. I need a new and heavier tripod and want to mount it that way first before trying hand-held. I've got a trip over to Memphis next week so will browse a couple camera shops to see whasssuppp.

TG
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:59 PM   #9

Thought you might enjoy seeing one I got today.
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:06 PM   #10

Nice Wood Duck; it is a Wood Duck isn't it? Nice reflection in the water.

Can you provide some EXIF details, distance to subject etc?

TG