Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:56 PM   #11

gaida wrote:
Quote:
thanks,i havent got a monopod but look into buying one.

well the 300 with the 3x and the 1.6x crop factor might be enough,i just dont know if i'll be able to shoot at 1/1000s.
Hi,

I use the 70-200mm L IS Lens and this is one I took last year, it's at 1/1000s.

It's one of my favourites.

I've read quite a bit from Mark Sutton, ITV's F1 photographer and he takes most of his shots at 1/250 and 1/500 when photographing the cars. You might want to take a look at ITV F1 web site and see if you can find some of his "taking photos'" articles.

I try to take pictures of bike racing, mainly SuperMoto rather than cars!

Good luck!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:06 AM   #12

Thanks,I know Mark Suttons work very well.He is just amazing.I'll have to find if hes got a book out.I've had a search at itv's website and came up empty.Thanks for the shot,what distance are you from the subject?
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:52 PM   #13

Hi,

I was probably 40-50 feet away, at the end of the straight at a hairpin. It's one of the best places at Rowrah, an outside go-kart track near Workington.

Cheers,
Carl.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:45 AM   #14

Hi everyone,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Went down to BrandsHatch on Saturday,they had a track day going on.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The results can be seen here http://www.gaida.co.uk/main.php/view/GAIDA/Brand/

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I ended up using very slow shutter speeds so i can pan and blur.It was good tho.Would love some feedback on the photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"GAIDA
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:34 PM   #15

Hi,

You got some nice shots.

How many did you end up taking? Did you get a track side pass or were you in the normal spectators areas (never been to Brands).

I'd suggest to try increasing your shutter speed, most of the cars are slightly blurred (I get the same with the bikes) when using a very slow shutter speed.

Have you tried 1/250 and 1/500? I see most of yours are from 1/30 to 1/160.

You do seem to have good panning, did you use a tripod or mono pod?

Keep up the good work and post you next set of photo so I can look at them.

Carl.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:51 PM   #16

Hi Carl,ended up with about 250 shots in under 2hours.Did not need a pass at all.Just went in saw the "on duty manager" she was very friendly and said i can shoot as much as i wanted as long as the photos are for personal use.Ooops

I was able to walk around the track and shoot from behind the fences.There are a few spots with very low fencing.I have a few shots with higher shutter speeds but they look to frozen for my taste.The best blur i got was with 1/30 to 1/200 depending on the position.

I did not use anything all shots are hand-held with my Sigma 70-300.This is also the first time i used panning and i found it very easy and natural.Maybe because the cars were not going that fast.
All my photos are at www.gaida.co.uk i update this every weekend.

Forgot to mention it was absolutely Free and i parked in the padock and could walk up and down the pits

Would recomment it to anyone.

Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:52 PM   #17

BTW its snowing in LONDON !Hope the snow holds till the morning.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 3:02 PM   #18

Unless you have an IS lens which has a setting for panning mode as some top end L series Canons do, IS will be of no use at all when following a moving object.

ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:23 PM   #19

i just got my F1 Racing mag today.There is a photo on 2 A4 pages there.The photographer used Eos 1Ds MK2 with a 35mm lens at F20 at 1/40s.The shot is stunning.It looks like its on a quick part of the track and he is about 15m from the car.I guess im going to try my 70-300 1st.