Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:59 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm going to a few F1 races this year,and would like to take some photos.

I generaly stick to slow corners (100-150km/h).The distance is between 50-150m.

The cars at 150km/h are doing about 42 m/s.

I currently own a 300D and a Sigma 70-300 Apo Super Makro II f5.6 at 300mm.

I also have a Kenco 300 2x Teleconverter.

I am aware of the 1.6x crop factor but dont think it makes a difference here.

I am aiming to fill the frame.The cars are about 4m long.

Do you think that lens will be enough or should I be looking at renting something like Canons 600mm IS ?

I would not be able to have a tripod with me,so IS will be good i guess.

I've never shot a fast moving target before,anyone knows what parameters to use?

Should i use M mode or Sports?

Thanks
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:17 PM   #2
-jb

If you are going to be in the stands, you'll need quite a long lens. The 300 mm lens will effectivly be 480 mm on your camera, so that will help a bit.

You might want to take along a monopod. They're easier to carry than a tripod, just collapse it and stick it in your belt. Monopods are also easier to pan with, so they're good for photographing fast cars.

I'm itching for F1 to start up again too. I hope Kimi and Juan Pablo blow Schumacher off the map. Have fun...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:21 PM   #3

thanks,i havent got a monopod but look into buying one.

Schumi has become very very good,i never ever liked him bit i respect him.

What i wanna see i Button win a race.

well the 300 with the 3x and the 1.6x crop factor might be enough,i just dont know if i'll be able to shoot at 1/1000s.

Anyone know a good place to rent a lens in London?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:20 AM   #4

It comes down to desired angle of view.

Take the lens, determine the angle relative to your sensor size. Do the math for the appropriate image angle apparent on the sensor...

Then just be sure you have enough light or sensitivity.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:02 AM   #5

Do you everhave trouble with the Autofocus if you use a 2x Teleconverter along with your Sigma 70-300?!

I have heard (on here) that Teleconverters can cost up to 2 f/stops of light and can also interfere with the operation of the autofocus on the camera. Either way you are going to need lots'n'lots of light to 'freeze' an F1 car - Even if you are at the slowest corner of the track!

I'm also thinking of going to a GP this season, being a Jordan fan and it being thier last season and all........ I am trying to make it to Spa. Couldn't possibly go to more then one though. It's just too bloody expensive!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:42 AM   #6

Yes,i do have a problem,it doesnt work

The sigma being 5.6 at 300mm counting 2 stops for the teleconverter,the camera no longer autofocuses,only in extreme light it does it but thats very rare.The images become very soft aswell,so probably not a good idea to use it.

I'm only going to the cheap races,and defenetly missing the British GP as its sooo expensive.

I will probably end up renting a canon lens for a week or so.

Anyone had experience with the Canon 600mm L IS lens?Is it very heavy can one useit handheld?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:28 PM   #7
-jb

gaida wrote:
Quote:
thanks,i havent got a monopod but look into buying one.
You're welcome.

Monopods are great for sports and they're cheap too. A monopod is basically one leg of a tripod with a plug and a threaded rod for the lens. You don't want to bother with any of the fancy heads, they just get in the way. (My opinion of course.)

You could use a monopod with a 600mm F4.0 lens if you decide to rent one. If you're going to a few races, you might hold off renting an expensive lens for the first race. Try it with your own equipment and rent a lens for the next race if that doesn't work out well.

Have fun at the races. Make sure you post some of your pictures...

ps: I'd like to see Button get his first win too.
pps: I'm sorry to see Eddie Jordan sell his team.

-jb
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:06 PM   #8
gsd

If you are going to several races, I'd second JB's suggestion of trying your own equipment out first. I've been to the USGP the last few years....last year for one practice session we stood behind the fence between turns 4 and 5. I don't recall how far away we were, though 50-75m is probably a good guess. The cars were probably going more like 150-200km/h. A friend had a 300mm f5.6 lens on a drebel. The cars pretty much filled the frame to the extent that it was difficult to track them well enough to not chop off one end or the other while taking the picture.

Not sure how much the IS wouldhelp in this case with a fast-moving subject, though I understand some of the IS lenses have a special panning mode.

If you are sitting in the stands, a much longer lens would be nice, but I'd hate to be the person sitting in front of you getting clunked in the head every time a car goes by :-)

ps. hmmmm...."jb" hopes that Jenson Button wins a race. I did not think Jenson would have time to hang out here, tho it is the off-season.

gsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:01 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice everyone it was very helpful.

I will get a monopod and go to the motorway to practice .Practice makes perfect.

Found a good website for this sort of thing.

http://www.andylees.com/shooting_f1/shooting_f1.html

Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:39 PM   #10
-jb

gsd wrote:
Quote:
ps. hmmmm...."jb" hopes that Jenson Button wins a race. I did not think Jenson would have time to hang out here, tho it is the off-season.
Heh... I never thought of that... While my initials are "jb" they don't stand for Jenson Button.

That's a nice web site Andy Lees has there. He sure is a heck of an F1 fan...

-john