Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:48 AM   #1

I currently own no lenses and want to begin to get my lenses lined up for future purchases. My questions are:

1. Are theCanon EF-S lenses good investments?

2. If they are, am I better off investing in theEF-S 17-85 mm lense instead of the less costly EF-S 17-55 mm lense?

Thanks.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:48 AM   #2

I have the 18-55. It's fine. It's got a pretty good minimum focusing distance, it's nice and compact, it's fairly wide and fairly inexpensive. A few people here (search photosbyvito) have taken some amazing shots with it. Other people think it's not good enough to burn ants with.

the 17-85 seems awfully expensive, but it does have IS. I think more people like it, but it is awfully expensive.

Problem with the EF-S lenses is that they will not work on any "full frame" sensor cameras (like the 1D, or any full frame cameras that may come later... but that's like saying don't by the standard definition TV now, even though you may need it, because in 10 years everyone will be broadcasting HD).

IMO if you can find a good deal, the 18-55 is worth it, for no other reason than it's an acceptable default lens and can cover the wide angle acceptably. Buy one on eBay from a seller who responds to your questions.

P.S. Most people suggest that you purchase the Canon 50mm f/1.8 -- it's fast it's cheap (~$80), it's good indoors without a flash, and it's a nice portrait lens.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX

this is a good combination of a useable zoom range and fast optics for a wonderful price ~400US$

later on if you want to add some longer zooms... check these two out

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO approx 700US$

or

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 100-300mm F/4.0 EX approx 800-850US$

they are wonderful lenses for the price...

enjoy, Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

The main lens I use with the 20D is the 17-40L. I researched this decision quite a bit. It's a much better quality lens and I don't believe it's not that much more than the 17-85 EF-S. A few years from now you may want to replace the Rebel, but you'll still have the lens. Yes it would be nice if it were a little longer, but that's life.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:41 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i agree... the 17-40L is a wonderful lens as well if you can deal with the limited zoom... i hesitated to offer it as a choice since i was under the impression you might be looking to get only 1 lens now and pick some up as you go.. if it is the only lens you buy, it may be too much of a limiting factor.. but paired up with another longer zoom ie 70-200 and such, i would not hesitate to getone at all as it is one hell of a lens for the price...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:56 PM   #6

Another good choice might be the Tamron 24-105mm f/2.8. It has a pretty nice focal range for a walk around lens and it is f/2.8 all the way through the focal range. A very nice lens for about $600.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:16 PM   #7

The Canon 50mm F1.8 is a pretty cool, inexpensive lens (under $100).

It works out to about 80mm in 35mm equivalence when mounted on a rebel, which is perfect for portraits.

I would say a zoom lens would be a higher priority though, if you don't have any lenses.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote