Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

Ok, picked this guy up yesterday and headed straight over to MSU to give it a try at the gymnastics meet. First off, it was much larger than I expected... I knew it was going to be big but jeepers I wasn't really prepared for the size of it. Makes my 70-200 f2.8 look whimpy! :lol: I'm glad I grabbed my monopod! First impressions of the lens besides it's size...

This thing focuses fast. Not sure if it was my imagination but it seems like it is more snappy than my 70-200.

The focus ring and zoom are swapped compared to the 70-200. I'm used to the focus ring being at the end of the lens while the zoom ring is closer to the camera. The 120-300 has them swapped. I kept grabbing the focus ring instead of the zoom... Going to take a bit of getting used to having to reach way out to zoom... hey, i've got short little arms! :lol:

And the zoom ring direction is reversed... ok.. i think it is... kept zooming out instead of in... in instead of out... :?

Picture quality appears a better. I did not shoot wide open at f2.8. The light was pretty descent so i thought i would step the lens down a bit and went with f3.5. Have another gymnastcs meet to goto today... we'll see how the light is there...

Ok.. so this lens is big, heavy and expensive. First impressions is I'm going to really like this lens. Going to take some getting used to. Need to shot in a few more different settings...

Here's a sample from yesterday:

More can be seen at: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Sports/M..._05/index.html
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2

OK, I'd say that lens is a keeper

I can't believe they do all these moves and nobody is gettinghurt.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
OK, I'd say that lens is a keeper

I can't believe they do all these moves and nobody is getting hurt.

Peter.
hmmm... take a closer look at all the tape, ace bandages and braces...

Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

Ah, so that is what all that stuff is. :whack:never-mind.:whack:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5
NHL

Ooops...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6
NHL

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Ok.. so this lens is big, heavy and expensive.
Have you seen a small, light, and cheap 300mm f/2.8? :G :lol: :-)

Just can't wait for the just announced 'DG' version hey?
I have the same lens and it's quite acceptable with a 2x teleconverter as well (wide opened)... Try it!

... and regarding the zoom and focus rings the 120-300 f/2.8 are laid out the same way as on the Canon's (the 70-200 f/2.8 was actually laid out more like a Nikon's) :?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:07 AM   #7
-jb

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Is there a link to the new version?

I saw a couple of Sigma wide angle lenses release this week, but not a new 120-300mm f2.8.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:30 AM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Have you seen a small, light, and cheap 300mm f/2.8? :G :lol: :-)

Ok... i guess I need to change my name to Mr. Obvious! :lol:

Like, JB, i didn't think there was a DG version of this lens coming... besides always tend to buy things at the wrong time! :lol: I want it and i want it now!!! :G But good to know for the future. Thanks!

Yeah, i almost picked up a 2x converter at the same time... but between the lens and a new bag i was pretty much at the limit of my budget for the day....
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:39 AM   #9
NHL

-jb wrote:
Quote:
Is there a link to the new version?
FYI - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sigma10dgs.asp

I've said it before - if the 120-300 f/2.8 is too big or heavy, its brother the not as fast 100-300 f/4 is sharper if not the sharpest zoom around for a relatively more affordable price! http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

IMO this lens is a sleeper, no one is aware of its existence and most would jump @ an 'L' instead!

Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:25 PM   #10
-jb

Thanks NHL.

I was curious about Sigma's DG (Digital) option. I found the answer in Sigma's Lens FAQ:

"The DG designation applied to certain newer Sigma lenses (mostly wideangle and wide zoom type lenses) indicates that the lens is especially suited for use with digital SLR cameras. The DG lenses feature improved (more even) light distribution from image center to edge, especially at maximum aperture, compared to conventional fast wideangle lenses. This is important in digital photography, but is also useful in 35mm photography, especially when slide film is used. Also, the shorter focal lengths are desirable, because most digital SLR cameras have image sensors whose dimensions are considerably smaller than a 35mm negative (usually by a factor of 1.3X to 1.7X), making the lens' angle of view equivalent to that of a longer lens on a 35mm cameras."

Interesting.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote