Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1

I just recently bought a Canon EOS 20D - I LOVE this camera. I bought it with the base 18-55mm lens and I'm looking to buy a good zoom lens. Here are my options:

1) Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM

2) Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM

3) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (a bit out of my budget)

I'm really really torn between these 3 lenses. I love the fact that the 75-300 has the extra 100mm zoom but with the Image Stabilizer, would it be enough? I'm getting into wedding photography so...there will be a LOT of instances where I'll be stuck with low lighting. When I shoot indoor shots, I pretty much ALWAYS use an external flash and I plan to get the Canon 580EX. So, would the 75-300mm be enough or should I go with something else?

Any advice would be good.

Thank you.
newbieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:00 PM   #2

If you do a little searching here, you'll see that there are other options. Look at postings by NHL and Mr. Saginaw.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:50 PM   #3

Ewok, I checked their posts but I plan to stick to Canon just because I'm a bit old fashioned in thinking that the lens model should match the camera. I might be wrong but I would like to stick to Canon.

If they are talking about other Canon lenses than the ones I mentioned, maybe I missed it.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:58 PM   #4

There's also the Canon EF 70-300 F4.5-5.6 DO IS USM, which is more compact.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #5

Hmm...another one to add to my list I guess But, this lens costs a TON more than the 75-300mm IS and I lose 0.5 f-stop. But, definitely compact.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:01 PM   #6

From what I have read and experienced, the 75-300 IS performs best up to 200mm. Beyond that it tends to become soft. So I feel you should go for the 70-200 f4L.
jhsurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:14 PM   #7

If you're only going to 200, maybe you should look at the f2.8L 200. It's not a zoom, but if you're at a wedding you're not constrained by how much gear you can carry. The f2.8 could come in handy, with the 20D's high-precision center focus point.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:48 PM   #8

obviously (hey NHL, maybe I SHOULD change my name to Mr. Obvious! :lol: ) it is your money.... but i do think you'ld be doing yourself a disservice by sticking strictly with Canon lenses.... minutephotos.com had the same mind set... all set to stick with Canon L lenses...

in case you missed it:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...233683#p233683

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:06 PM   #9

I'm sorry if this is going to dent anyones ego, but I think you should read some old threads before you drop any cash on a Canon 75-300 IS. I have one and the only thing I will say is that I'm pretty sure it will last for ever. I don't see how it could get damaged on the shelf in my shop, yup thats right I don't even carry it in the bag. Its soft,it drifts open under its own weight most lens evaluations list it as "Average". I don't know about you but I don't have enough time to waste on average! I have two or three old shots that I wish I had used a different lens to harvest. I won't start a rhubarb by suggesting another manufacture. Just be aware of all the info before you plunk down your hard earned cash.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:19 PM   #10

(1) As NHL would proclaim, the Sigma 500DG Super flash is at least as good as, if not better than (and half the price of) the Canon.

(2) If you're ever planning on shooting indoors without a flash, f/4 is not going to do it.

(3) I've not noticed wedding photographers use really strong zooms at weddings... usually they just budge up to where they need to be for the good shot! :blah:

(4) I don't know that the 18-55 would be a very good wedding lens... it's pretty slow, it's not spectacularly sharp, and it's only an average range. From what I hear, I think the 17-85 EF-S, although pricey, is a near-pro lens that would work well for wedding needs.

(5) I have the 70-200 f/2.8L (I love saying that in these forums, because it's about the only thing I have to brag about!) and it's very nice--many say one of the best zoom lenses available. It's also REALLY heavy, and has a 77mm diameter. A tripod collar is a must if you're shooting on sticks. It is white. It can be intimidating.

Oh, look at that, I've used a whole post and didn't really answer your question! Okay: From personal experience, the 2.8L is a great lens. Fast, sharp, impressive. Many people say the f/4L is just about as great, but is smaller and considerably cheaper. I've heard very mixed opinions about the 70-300 IS. I believe it's USM is a not a true "ring" USM and thus is not as fast and quiet as the others (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Are you really going to need to be be shooting at 480mm [300mm x 1.6 crop factor] at a wedding? But, if your answer is "no" to this question, maybe you don't need to invest $1K in a good zoom lens at all....

But what do I know... I've only taken pictures at one wedding... and I don't think I'd ever do it for a living:

http://www.koskiphotography.com/amateur.html

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote