Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1

:? Suddenly I have a really neat thing happen to me, I have camera gear that I need to find a way to pack with me.
I'm enjoy backpacking/hikeing and canoeing and wonder what kind of pack system you use/suggest for on the trail/river.
I need something pretty larger to hold camera gear as well as camping gear and maybe that can be downsized when I don't need the whold thing.
Any suggestions?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

I got the Canon backpack (sorry can't remember the model) which was reviewed recently here or in FM Forum (can't remember that either). It's the mostly black with a bit of olive drab on the sides and got if on eBay for $49.00 (I think). Man, am I having a hard time remembering tonight.

Anyway, the backpack carries my 20D with battery grip (separately), the 100-400L, a 100 2.8 macro and the 50 1.4 plus charger, extra batteries etc. It's pretty much filled up at that point and I don't have an external flash yet or the 16-35 2.8L that I'm drooling over. There are side pouches on the outside that I haven't used either so a bit more room. There is another zippered section that could hold a small notebook and a lace-up section on the outside rear that can be used for other gear that doesn't need to be protected from the elements. Hope this helps ya Golfer.

EDIT: here's the link to the FM review: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp?product=267

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3

Thank trout guy. Sounds a little small for me as I am trying to find something I can put a weekend into also.
Hey, I like you elk photos. What part of the Ozarks you from.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

maybe look at the nature trekker from LowePro, it should carry all your gear rather comfortably.. it also has a daypack for your other gear that you can attach to the pack when you want to carry some extra clothes, lunch, etc..

prodigital2000 on ebay sells them together for a rather nice price.. otherwise you can purchase them separately..

if you want an even bigger camera bag, the pro trekker can be used with the same daypack...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5

Oh man both camera and you, in one pack is a tough move.

For one/two day trips I use the a LowePro Trekker backpack, or the LowePro OrionAW, convertible waist pack that converts to a backpack. This one lets you carry some cloths and food in to top add-on portion.

If I am heading out on water I stuff the pack into a dry-bag.

If it is longer I use my truck as a base camp(double bed in the back, comfy) and hike out daily from it.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:41 PM   #6

Golfer, I'm in the north central part of Arkansas on the White River.....fantastic trout country:G

I too kayak about eight months out of the year and two normally reside in the Yakima rack atop my SUV. I paddle and drift some but usually it's trout I'm after in my kayaks. When I first got my Sony 707 three years ago I wouldn't dare take it in the kayak then I started to and no problems. Now that I have Canon gear I'm really hesitant to take that on the water. Any suggestions for a good dry pack/hard case for the water?

TG
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:40 AM   #7

I've just ordered the Pelican

http://www.casesbypelican.com/1454.htm

Hasn't arrived yet, but the specs look good

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:43 AM   #8

Trout guy, I too am very careful with my cameras in the boat. Generally, I keep everything separated in double plastic bags. I take out only what I plan to use and keep on top of my gear. All other gear stays in a dry bag. If I come up on rapids, everything goes back into the dr y bag for security. So far so good, only problem I have had was when my new daughter in law decided I need to get paddle splashed and I didn't have my vidio camera put away. Had to send the camera in, but got even with daughter in law. LOL I love the White River system. Planning a 3 day canoe trip on the Buffalo in May. Great area, I envy you. Do you have any favorite photography areas?

Peter, you changed your picture. Very becoming. Thanks for the tip on the Low nature trekker. Is this romier than the Orion? Any pros or cons in your opinion.

Jake, I am taking a hard look at that Pelican. Would love an update when you receive it.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:20 AM   #9

Golfer, you don't have PM turned on or an email address; mine are visible so shout at me and I'll give you the lowdown on the White and Buffalo. I'm very familiar with both!!

TG
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:23 AM   #10

I posted this once before, but it's such a nice backpack, I figured I'd post it again. It's very nicely built, snug and secure and holds my laptop. It's a Lowepro Compu Trekker. They have other backpacks as well.

mactek
Attached Images

mactek is offline   Reply With Quote