Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:49 PM   #1

I am going on an African safari. Camera equipment includes Canon Digital Rebel, 18-55mm, 70-210. What other lenses would you recommend?

Thanks.
lbmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:17 PM   #2
Administrator

We have aCanon Lenses Forum where you may get better responses. So, I'll move this thread to it now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

Hi,

How close to the animals do you plan on getting? If you don't plan getting to close then you might want to look at a lens with more reach. May be a Bigma lens by Sigma. 170-500mm It is a little big. Or a 70-300mm sigma APO Super Macro II.

It would also depend on what you want to spend.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:05 PM   #4

Thanks. I really don't know. What do you think of a lens like the new Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm?

Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:43 PM   #5

I owned both the Sigma and Tamron versions of the 28-200 lens, both were not that great of a lens. They were soft and slow to focus When you make a lens that tries to cover that much ground something usually suffers. I would also look at something with more reach, you will be surprized at how little of an animal will fill the frame, even at 210mm. 300mm is the minimum for wildlife photography in a lot of cases.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:27 PM   #6

I've was thinking about one of these:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...n_200_500.html

Sigma also makes a 50-500... affectiontly known as the Bigma..

(i think i'll try 1.4TC on my 300 before I invest in a longer lens)
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:50 PM   #7
-jb

I think it winds down to how much money are you willing to spend and do you only want to use Canon lenses.

From my view point, going to Africa on a safari is a pretty unique opportunity. I'd probably buy a pretty good lens with the thoughts that I might not ever go back again. If you travel often, that might not be the case for you.

If you are going on the safari strictly to photograph animals, you might want to invest in a long Canon telephoto lens. I don't know how close you'll be able to get to the wild animals. I've been to Africa, but it was in the Navy and we didn't go on a safari...

If you're going with family or friends, I might recommend a quality zoom lens. I like the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 lens. A couple of people here have them and can tell you about them. (I don't have one.)

Something cheaper might be Canon's 100-400mm lens. It's probably time for you to give us some more information...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I have 18-55mm Canon; 70-210mm Canon; a borrowed 100-300mm Canon; No macro.
I don't know if I'll ever be able to get back to Africa but will continue to travel so I would consider a more expensive lens a good investment.

As to how close we'll be to game I just don't know.

Lee