Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:56 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

From what I've picked up researching lenses it really is a modelby model thing. Both Canon & Sigma make great and not-so-great lenses. For example, I bought a Sigma 70-200 2.8 lense vs. the Canon because it was $400 cheaper and all my research and people's opinions indicated the Sigma was about 95% the quality of the Canon and by all accounts a great lense. But the same may not be true of other lenses in the Sigma lineup. Best to specify what lenses you are looking at and I'm sure someone here has used it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:55 PM   #12
Member
 
alan sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Default

Just to update this, I ended up buying the Sigma 80-400 OS lens for about £50 more than the combined 100-300 and 1.4TC so I am well happy.

The lens performs well and produces images I like.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:19 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

alan sh wrote:
Quote:
The lens performs well and produces images I like.

Alan
Great -you've achieved the ultimate goal!! Enjoy your new lense.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:59 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 63
Default

alan sh wrote:
Quote:
Just to update this, I ended up buying the Sigma 80-400 OS lens for about £50 more than the combined 100-300 and 1.4TC so I am well happy.

The lens performs well and produces images I like.

Alan
Would love to see some shots at both ends, especially at 400mm. I am very interested in this lens and would like to know if its soft or not at 400mm.

Thanks!!
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:50 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 65
Default

So if I follow this whole thread correctly, if I bought a 1.4x Sigma TC it would probably work on my Canon 100-400 lens BUT I may have some focusing issues if the effective f stop is greater than 5.6? Is that it in a nutshell?

If so, I don't really care about the black and white issue as my camera body is silver and a white lens sort of looks stupid on it already. So what is the difference if I make it look like a zebra or not? :G

It would be nice to geta little more zoom at times and with the IS lens I could probably pull it off without a tripod...
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:48 AM   #16
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

Wavshrdr wrote:
Quote:
So if I follow this whole thread correctly, if I bought a 1.4x Sigma TC it would probably work on my Canon 100-400 lens BUT I may have some focusing issues if the effective f stop is greater than 5.6? Is that it in a nutshell?
Correct - There's always the 'taping' trick: :idea:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...p/t-12718.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:12 AM   #17
Member
 
alan sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Default

Bilbo99 wrote:
Quote:
alan sh wrote:
Quote:
Just to update this, I ended up buying the Sigma 80-400 OS lens for about £50 more than the combined 100-300 and 1.4TC so I am well happy.

The lens performs well and produces images I like.

Alan
Would love to see some shots at both ends, especially at 400mm. I am very interested in this lens and would like to know if its soft or not at 400mm.

Thanks!!
I don't have any to hand (I'm in the office) but I can assure you it is sharp at both ends. If I remember, I will publish something here later on in the week.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:27 PM   #18
Member
 
alan sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Default

OK - this is the 80-400 taken at the 80 end. It's reduced in size and quality to fit here.
Attached Images
 
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:28 PM   #19
Member
 
alan sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Default

This is the same landscape but I've zoomed in to the corral on the stable. The red mark is the focus point


Attached Images
 
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:30 PM   #20
Member
 
alan sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Default

And this is a 100% crop of that centre part. Reduced in quality.
Attached Images
 
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:55 PM.