Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

I plan to buy the 20D soon (know of any good deals out there?) and don't know whether to get the 18-55 kit or buy a different lense. This is my first dSLR and I know very little about lenses, other than what I have been reading on these forums. I read the posts on a similar topic in this forum, but most of the lenses suggested there are beyond my budget at this time. Is there a walk around lense out there for $300 or less that I should be buying instead of getting the 18-55?
I would like a lense that will be useful enough for an upcoming vacation and to take pictures at a wedding in several months. I plan to add lenses later as funds allow. Thanks!
Tom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

Tom30 wrote:
Quote:
I plan to buy the 20D soon (know of any good deals out there?) and don't know whether to get the 18-55 kit or buy a different lense. This is my first dSLR and I know very little about lenses, other than what I have been reading on these forums. I read the posts on a similar topic in this forum, but most of the lenses suggested there are beyond my budget at this time. Is there a walk around lense out there for $300 or less that I should be buying instead of getting the 18-55?
I would like a lense that will be useful enough for an upcoming vacation and to take pictures at a wedding in several months. I plan to add lenses later as funds allow. Thanks!
If you are just looking for one lens to cover most things that you will be doing, untill you get more lenses, something like the sigma 18-125 ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=324385 )
is not that bad of a lens, for about $270. That would be about the same as a 28-200mm lens on your 20D.
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:58 PM   #3

Thanks, that looks like a good option.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:51 PM   #4

Although I did not do this (but I would if I had it to over again), I would not buy the kit lens. Instead, I would purchase a Tamron 28-75/2.8. You would save about $100 on the camera - then, for less than $300 above the kit purchase you would have a much better lens. You do give up the 18-28 range, but you gain the 55-75 range - however, the fixed aperture is critical for me. I will provide a link (you've probably already looked at this thread). Anyway, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do, but I am trying to help you not make the same mistake that I did. Initially, I wanted to return my camera - it was that bad.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:15 AM   #5

If you are looking for the deals... there are some to be had out there, but for peace of mind I went with Costco... (don't laugh :lol They have a no questions asked return policy... Keep your receipt and if it goes south on you then it can be returned in up to a year if you are not satisfied with it for any reason.

While I would not be an advocate of buy it and return it in a year, it's their policy. I bought my Digital rebel from them September of 04. They then started selling the D20 with the Kit lens for $1449 in Jan 05. I went in and asked if I could do an exchange and pay the difference. I was told to just bring in the Rebel with my receipt.. (back from the $949 days). I ordere the D20 online with them, got it, tried it out, and then took back the Rebel. Costco is Great they even refund tax AND shipping.

They have me completely satisfied. I might have paid a little more than some of the "Deals" out there.. but the peace of mind is very very nice.
sdattilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:19 AM   #6

I own the kit for my digital rebel... and unless you're such a pro already that entry level equipment will frustrate you, I'd suggest the kit. Yes, it's not particularly fast. Yes, it's not particularly sharp, but you do get a light, compact lens that covers a good amount of wide-angle (it's amazing how much larger the field of view is between 18mm and 28mm) and has very basic macro ability for basically $100.

Soon after I purchased my camera, I bought another walk around lens (a Tokina 28-200mm) but I'm still glad I've got my kit lens because right now it's the only lens in my bag that goes out to 18mm and has focusing ability less than 1 meter!

And it can take some pretty good shots, too. Look for pictures from "photosbyvito" here. Many of his shots are taken with the kit lens.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:41 AM   #7

Thanks for your replies. I came across a Canon EF 24-85 (refurb by Canon) for $250 at Adorama. How would this lense meet my needs (in first post) and has anybody had any experience with refurbished lenses?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8

Unless you need the extra reach of the 24-85 vs. the kit 18-55 I would stick with the kit. there are some reviews of the 24-85 at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...=27&page=1

and it just seems average.... The kit will give you a wider lens especially after you take into account the 1.6 factor of the digital camera... (that 24-85 will be like a 38-136) The kit lens at 18-55 (29-88 actual) along with Canons EF 50mm f/1.8 II (best $70 dollars for a lens I ever spent) and then a decent zoom would seem to be a pretty good starting mix of lenses.

The refub thing would just scare me... (but i hate scary movies so take that for what it's worht... LOL ) :lol:

sdattilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #9

Tom, It depends on what type of shooting you plan to do. I find for many nature shots of animalsyou will probablywant a 300mm lens. The Sigma 18-125 sounds like a good range to start with. You may find you want the wider side for some landscapes. I know with the 1.6 multiplication factor the 28mm often isn't wide enough for me. I would go to http://www.pricegrabber.com to look for the best price. I would look for a dealer that sells equipment that states it has the manufacturers USA warranty.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:12 AM   #10

I need a lense that will focus in low light, as in a church at a wedding where I can't use a flash during the ceremony. The Sigma 18-125 is noted to have some focusing problems in low light, from what I have read. Would the Tamron 28-75/2.8 (which has been recommended here and elsewhere) be any better for this?
I am looking for that good, inexpensive (around $300) lense that can take decent pictures on vacation, at family gatherings, in the back yard, at a wedding I have coming up, etc. I realize that good and inexpensive are contradictory terms as you usually get what you pay for, but I am looking for something as useful as possible within my budget. Thanks.