Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

Great discussions and I hope some people with more knowledge can help me in my dilemna.

I am an artist and I work mainly in oil and watercolor, with work ranging from 8x9" up to 4x5 feet. I have used my old coolpix 995 as a transition from an old Nikon film SLR and I am currently only documenting my work digitally and having slides made from digital files. I have nearly decided (95%) to upgrade to the Canon 350xt as the next camera in my progression despite a growing Nikon brand loyalty. It seems to offer the best bang for the buck and the higher resolution is an important part of having my artwork documented.

That aside, I am still confused over what lens, type of lens and anything lens related to get for the Canon. I need a lens that I will use to shoot exclusively for documenting flat artworks. Lighting and tripod and all that isnt a problem as I've been documenting the work for years but I need to take the next step in getting a better record of the work.

I have heard conflicting reports between a Macro lens (Sigma AF 2.8 50mm Macro EX seems to be a great choice) or just getting a "regular" lens (excuse my lack of technical terminology) I am willing to spend some money if necessary and I just want the clearest, straightest images (I had a problem with warping edges with the coolpix on larger oil paintings) I am confused as to what lens makes the most sense.

Any suggestions and any knowledge that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jasonbrockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:23 AM   #2

Why don't you check out the Canon 50mm/1.8. There is plenty of discussion on it. I've used it to photograph artwork and it works just fine with or without flash. You don't need a better lens for what you want. Set up your photos with a tripod and your results will be great. It's about $70.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3

I'll look into it

Thanks

jasonbrockert is offline   Reply With Quote