Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1

What do you guys think on the Canon EF 28-80 3.5-5.6 as a everyday lens on the XT? I also have the kit 18-55 and 50mm 1.8. The 28-80 gives me the best range but I'm more concerned about picture quality.
This is all new to me so your comments are much appreciated
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I have an older version of the 28-80 that came as a kit lens with my EOS 50E. The few times I have tried it with my 20D I found it to be slightly less sharp and the colours a bit less punchy. The differences weren't dramatic but I definitely preferred the 18-55 overall. It was a USM model though and the AF was just a touch faster than the 18-55 kit. I didn't find the focal length difference at the tele end to be sufficient to ever really require me to take the 18-55 off the camera for the 28-80, on the other hand I didn't find 28mm to be wide enough at the wide end.

In short after a few experiments I put the 28-80 back on the film body and left it there.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:18 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply!

Mine is from my film Rebel 2000. I havent been able to tell much difference myself. Is it best to do the testing of lenses inside or out? Same focal length and aperture? What setting would you suggest?
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You can look up the MTF charts and print off test charts or use a newspaper, put the camera on a tripod and do various shots at different focal lengths and apertures. Do a table or spreadsheet and tick off when you've taken each shot then use the EXIF data on the shots themselves to make sure you don't get confused.

However, I think the most telling point there was that you can't see much difference.

My recommendation is to just use the one that gives you the focal lengths you prefer. For me I found the extra range at the wide end much more useful than the extra range at the telephoto end so I used the kit lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:01 AM   #5

I would keep the 18-55 and look for the Canon EF70-210 f3.5-4.5, which today is only available used, but it would make a great economicalsecond lens for you at around $150-$175 for a nice example. It's much better built and sharper than the el cheapo75-300's Canon sells today, and it uses the real USM motor vs. the not-so-great micro USM so focus is extremely fast and silent. The only problem todayis finding one, as they seem to be very popular in the second-hand market.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote