Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:16 PM   #1

I'm looking to get a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lens...the old one with a metal mount...not the newMKII one, which is all plastic. Anyone know of any place where to get these gems besides ebay?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

mb look in the used department of your local pro camera store.... or call a few of them in your area and ask.. if they dont have one in stock some stores will put you on a list to call when an item is received..

btw- i own this lens and it is far superior to the mkII in build quality.. =)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3

Got mine on ebay for 95$.
epocenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:58 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly why I want this particular lens rather than the new one.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:05 AM   #5

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly why I want this particular lens rather than the new one.

would you pay a similar price for the second hand in mint condition rather than buy a plastic new one???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:35 AM   #6

Anyone at this point who wants oneWOULD pay the price of a new current version for a mint original. The old one today costs quite a bit more than the new one. I just received my weekly newsletter from Cameta Camera. They have a version 1, like new in the box- it can be yours for $159! Even the guy earlier on this post who paid $95 on eBay paid more than the cost of a new currentversion today. If you want the earlier version the current rate is determined by how bad you want the original, better built version. The answer to that is there are many out there who will, so the price is going to be high, probably for a good while.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:30 AM   #7

I just went ahead and purchased the new one. I couldn't justify twice the price of the old one vs the new one. If my new one breaks for some reason, I can buy another new one. I don't foresee this happening anytime soon though since I baby my stuff...I'll keep my eye open though for a bargain on the old one (not twice the price!).
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:23 AM   #8

I just got a mint condition older style ring USM 28-105 through a private sale on Ebay after I lost a bidding war on another identical one. The guy I am getting it from has sold me stuff before and is happy to COD me the lens no deposit. I am paying $300 aust (about $210.00 USA) rather than pay 360 aust dollars for a piece of plastic junk. I had a look at the new version of this lens in a camera shop the other day and put it on my camera and I have to say I was disappointed overall with it. I have no Idea why camera companies make such rubbish these days.

This guy Im getting the lens from was saying he sells heaps of the older style lenses and get very good prices for them as opposed to the newer ones he sells online (he's a camera shop in Sydney) I guess the older metal mount heavier lenses just speak for themselves.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote