Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2005, 3:06 PM   #1
Super Moderator

just as i had decided to forego a superwide and get sigma's 17-35 to compiment my canon 28-135..

i see a very favorable review of Tokina's 12-24 constant F 4.0 lens.. basically stating it trumpssimilar offerings bycanon, nikon, and sigma.. and started thinking that it might be a better compliment.. so many decisions...

anyways, just wanted to know what you guys thought of this lens or any experiences with it as i am not very familiar with this make of lens..

thanks guys, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:01 AM   #2
NHL

Hards80

It's definetly a good buy for the price especially when it can trump the Nikon which in itself is a good lens already: http://www.photo.net/equipment/tokina/12-24-f4/

My question for you is how you value the 'HSM' and is it worth the extra $? Unlike others the Sigma 17-35 and 12-24 are both full-frame lenses -> you are actually using only the best part of theses lenses and cropping out the peripheral (albeit at a size/weight penalty) part on the 20D - one of the problematic issue with the Tokina @ wide open as described in the above review

BTW I still have an old Tokina 28-80 f/2.8 for 1 of my cameras - one of the most sturdy lens ever made and weights like a tank. They are of Hoya fame and their lenses are almost always parafocal in design, meaning they hold focus when you zoom in or out - try that with your Canon lenses!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

well.. normally i very much value the hsm for my normal lens and my telephotos... not sure it is as big of issue with a superwide as most subjects for it will be stationary.. however that said, i do not want a dog ofa lens on focusing.. as long as its reasonably fast focusing i am ok..

the full frame coverage is not much of an issue for me, i really dont plan on upgrading from my 20d anytime soon, and would probably stick with something in its class when i do.. (not making money off of my camera kinda prohibits the $3k plus for a 1d series :roll.. and i really dont shoot film that often anymore..

still, i havent made up my mind yet.. not gonna rush this decision, as i can make do for the moment.. and i heard if i do choose the tokina, getting one is not gonna be a quick process...

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote