Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 16, 2008, 6:09 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Every sample shot I've seen is soft to say the least, chromic aberration and generally lacking in contrast. However I would love to see someone posting what they find.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 8:53 PM   #12

The 500mm f/8 Opteka looks just like a lens I had about 25 years ago for my Yashica FX-D. It wasn't called Opteka, I can't remember the name now, but I bet it's the same lens design. Even then, the quality was a little iffy, very soft results. Also it was really hard to focus, because it wasn't AF and with f/8 it was really dark for manual focusing, probably even worse now that the screens are not made for manual focusing anymore...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:49 AM   #13

I don't have a Canon, I own a Nikon D50 SLR...

I just purchased the opteka 650-1300 on ebay for a mere $45 brand new. I only bought it because of the price.

I will be taking some shots this weekend and can post my experience with it as well as some pics.

My main focus is stellar photography. I purchased it because the visit to the Opteka's website showed a great shot of the moon with the 650-1300, however, it included a 2x filter. Bare in mind that just like anything else, you get what you paid for. I would have never purchase a low end quality lens for more than $100, but I figured $45 was worth the dump for the sake of testing.

If it turns out to be a bomb, I have a great lens for sale folks!!!!! :?
gwmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:18 AM   #14

gwmurray wrote:
Quote:
If it turns out to be a bomb, I have a great lens for sale folks!!!!! :?
Or at least an expensive paper weight...

Never know, might be a lens for those who just want to get some close shots for looking at on a computer without being worried about print quality shots..
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:22 AM   #15

I have just bought an opteka 500/1000 mm tele from ebay (47thstreet photo), trying to get shots with a pentax K1000. Experiment still under progress. Will let you know the results once it is completed.
gshamik is offline   Reply With Quote