Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:19 PM   #1

Anybody knows or owns a OPTEKA lenses
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:31 AM   #2

Do you mean a lens, or do you mean a filter?!

I have a set of Opteka filters, I got them for my Oly C-750 first and used both an Opteka made UV and Polariser on it. They both did what they were supposed to do but the Polariser was nowhere near as effective as the Hoya Polariser I got for a later SLR lens.

Since I upgraded to SLR I have gone back and started using a set of Dioptres (Close-up lenses) which match the thread diameter of Canons 50mm prime lens. They turn the 50mm lens into a workeable macro by reducing the focusing distance.

I have had no problems dealing with Opteka (they only deal through eBay and 47thstreetphoto.com, I think). The filters were cheap, weren't of superb quality but did the job they were designed for. It is pretty guaranteed that Hoya, B+H, etc brands will be superior but it's your decision on whether you need to spend that extra money on them.

I know Opteka also do some actual lenses but I would be far more doubtfull about these. They are far, far more difficult to manufacture then filters and Canon dSLRs are very finicky about compatibility. I would expect any Opteka lens to be manual focus only and to suffer from distortions (barel, pincushion, chromatic aberations) and to produce a soft image.

I can recommend their filters fair enough. But all I can say about their lenses is that you would be taking a risk.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:54 AM   #3

Thanks alot Redundo.

I was a little bit scarred , they offer 650-1300 F8-16 for $300, manual focus, but I think I will wait, I know its not expensive but anyway ....

Thanks again
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:59 AM   #4

Just to re-iterate, has anyone actually used an opteka lens? The 650-1300 super telephoto does seem a little 'too' cheap!

JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:20 PM   #5

JonK wrote:
Quote:
Just to re-iterate, has anyone actually used an opteka lens? The 650-1300 super telephoto does seem a little 'too' cheap!

Bump, I'm also interested in any reviews on this lense. All I can find is one at amazon.com. It seems to cheap to be good but to expensive to buy it to try it.
eightbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:11 PM   #6
Super Moderator

good glass costs money.. so if you are getting this much glass and its not costing you much at all.. pretty much means there is no good glass there... plus at f8-16 you are going to have such a dim viewfinder it will be difficult to even see, let alone focus, plus you will need bright sunlight and a tripod..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:54 AM   #7

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
good glass costs money.. so if you are getting this much glass and its not costing you much at all.. pretty much means there is no good glass there... plus at f8-16 you are going to have such a dim viewfinder it will be difficult to even see, let alone focus, plus you will need bright sunlight and a tripod..

In theory I agree with you but does anyone have any actualexperience with them? All 3 of my lenses are canon and I am happy of them. In reality I'm never going to buy a Canon branded super zoom. Itsgot to bebetter than rigging my camera up to a spotting scope (I've done that and gotten a few decent shots) for some long distance shots that won't be high quality pics but they'll be acceptable.

I guess I'll have to try it myself, if I do I'll come back and post a review.
eightbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:49 PM   #8

Hi

I bought the Opteka 1300-2600 last month.

The magnification is very good but unfortunately that's it on the good points. The quality of the shots is very low which makes it not suitable for Sports or Nature photography. You can get some passable shots of the moon, but still will never get a crystal clear shot.

It is alsovery heavy which makes it extremely cumbersome and also is a manual focus.

I was really disappointed with this lense and so am happy tohelp you not waste your money.

I'm now looking at the Sigma 500 lense which from what I've seen gets some excellent results.

Hope this helps

Dave

http://www.davidinnes.co.uk
innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:55 PM   #9

Stay with the well known brands. These lesser known lens are usually cr*p. I know from the old days.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 5:33 PM   #10

I just purchased the Opteka 1600mm super telephoto lense for under$300. I know it seems to good to be true since all other lenses in this category are $5,000 or more. I havn't used it yet but I am going to this weekend in Lake Tahoe and see what happens. I will post my results for you as soon as I get my slide film back. I dont shoot much digital and prefer the blow up results of Fuji slide film. Velvia&Provia. :G
s pruyn is offline   Reply With Quote