Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1

I have purchased an older metal mount canon lens (100-300) which compared to a friends brand new one (which is plastic and lighter) appears to take more contrasty shots. I am now bidding on another lens on Ebay that is a metal mount and not really old but not of the newer variety. These lenses seem to go for about three quarters of the the price of the new ones if you include postage and are sort after a lot.

My question is, why are these older lenses so sort after? Is it for the optical quality or the strong build. I must say I prefer the feel of these lenses to the new plastic type but is there a difference in image quality?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:48 PM   #2

Over the years Canon has, in cases, cut costs in the consumer line of lenses. Some of the original EF lenses are built better than current models. The 70-210 f3.5-4.5 EF is a much nicer lens than any of the 75-300 dogs (every version) they make today. It had the metal lens mount, used the REAL USM focus motor so AF rips and is ultra quiet, and it's better optically, although it still is not as good when shot wide open as the pro line of lenses. Canon dropped it in the late 90's and replaced it with the 75-300 lenses to give people access to 300mm, albeit a bad 300mm optically. I just bought a second hand 70-210 f3.5-4.5 EF to round out a light-weight travel outfit.

If you can find an original 28-80 f3.5-4.5 USM it also has a much better quality to it than any of the subsequent versions of the 28-80 or 28-90 lenses. The original 28-80 used the real USM motor with a metal mount, distance window and was a very good lens- worth looking for if the focal length range is what you're looking for.

The obvious example is the 50mm f1.8, which is why the original version is so much more expensive due to the vastly superior build quality.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:24 AM   #3

Ive got my eye on a 28-105 usm with metal mount, just to replace my kit plastic thing that came with the 300D. If I win bidding on that I will be happy as it will do me until I can get something better as a walk about lens:-)
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:25 AM   #4

By the way, are all metal mount canon lenses the older ones????
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:45 PM   #5

Nope. Every current single focal length EF lens I can think of with the exception of the current 50/1.8 has the metal lens mount. I believe all the various 28-105 f3.5-4.5 lenses are metal mounts as well as the 20-35 USM, 100-300 USM, 28-135 USM IS, 24-85 USM and 75-300 IS.

You or your friend has a 100-300 f4.5-5.6 USM lens with a plastic mount? I've never seen that.

I'm not sure about the other 75-300's, but the cheap 28-105 f4-5.6 and all the 35-80 and current 28-90, 80-200 lenses have the plastic mounts. I'm sure I've missed some version of something, but that's a general run-down. The 18-55 EFS is the only EFS lens with the plastic mount.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote