Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:57 PM   #1

I'm either going to buy the Canon100mm 2.8 macro or the new 60mm, has anyone used both and which do people generaly think is better?

It is going to be used on my 20D.

Thanks.
Samcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the EF-S 60 mm isn't out yet.. so we will have to wait for reviews on this one.. but one interesting point i noticed was its ability to focus down to 4 inches

if you havent already looked, you might wanna check out Sigma's 105 mm 2.8 macro.. very nice lens for a very nice price..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:43 PM   #3

I've looked at the Sigma but after using both I prefer the Canon 100mm. The only thing thatworries meabout the 60mm was that it's quite alot cheaper than the 100mm, why is this? Is the build worse?

Thanks.
Samcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i am not seeing a significant difference in price.. calumet and b&h both sell the 100 2.8 for around 470 and the only two prices i have seen for the 60mm ef-s is 450ish.. so i am not sure i see the big price difference...

i would not expect much difference in terms of build quality.. the 60mm is going to be much smaller since it was designed for the aps sized sensor.. which is one downside if you ever plan to upgrade to a 1D or 1DS..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5

Im not sure if this is pertinent or not, but I own the 50mm and the 100mm macro lenses -I use both heavily, but I use the 100mm much more often. This baby is solid and RAZOR sharp. If the 60 is anything like my 50, you will be very pleased with it as well.

The real question here is, what are you planning to take pictures of and how close will you be?

I haven't done much research on the 60mm (wont work with a Mk II), but the close focusing distance may not really matter much to you, depending on what you want to use it for.

One thing is for sure... you will not be unhappy with the 100mm and if you do go that route, it will really change the way you approach macro photography. Good luck mate!
CDesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:37 PM   #6

I managed to get my hands on one of these yesterday.

Being new to Macro, I guess I have a lot to learn but my first impressions are, it is a great little lens.

I have put a brief description of my first impression and a few sample images here:

http://www.eospix.com/reviews-18.html

I am quite pleased with the Bee (Bug). Let me know what you guys think.

Wes@eospix is offline   Reply With Quote