Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:05 AM   #1

In August I'm planning on going to New York, NY for 2 weeks. I'm flying from Texas. I was wondering what would you take with you in your camera bag. I have a:

EOS 20D w/vertical grip and two batteries.

420EX flash

EF-28-135mm IS USM

Monopod

Tripod

I was wondering if I should get more batteries for the 20D. I couild borrow a 550Ex flash from my father he also has a EF-20mm USM and aEF-50mm 1.8 USM.

I was considering purchasing a Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC for the trip. But I don't know if it would be worth it. I'd like to take one lens with me so that I don't have to change lenses. However I like my 28-135 IS. And I prefer a wider lens than an 18 because with the 1.6 factor that is only a 28.8mm.

I'm used to a 19mm or 20mm lens with a 35mm lens. So would it be worth it to get a Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX or a EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM. But then I might not want to keep the wide on the camera all the time. I'm would not like to spend too much but I want a nice lens.

I need advice. Is two batteries enough? If not should I get 2 more or 1 more? Which flash? Monopod or Tripod?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i wouldnt buy the 18-125, its too similar to your 28-135.. if you really think you need a wider view, i'd spend the money on a superwide (btw check out tokina's 12-24 as well).. but thats only if you think you need one anyways.. just for the trip, i think you could make do with your fathers 20mm.. or even the 28-135 alone for that matter..

if anything, i would bring along the tripod.. leave it in the hotel during the day, but you have it available for any night shots you may want to take...

i think you will be fine with 2 batteries, at least with my experience with the battery life of my 20d and 28-135.. charge them overnight and they should get you through the day..

enjoy your trip,

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Two fully charged511abatteries (remember the manual says to charge for about an hour after the light goes solid)should last you approximately 1200-1500 shots, how many do you expect to do in a day :-). Just remember to not forget your charger.:blah:

I'd be more worried about having enough storage, but that is not hard tobuy in NY if you run out.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:12 PM   #4

Thank you for your info. I will look at the Tokina lens. But chances are I'll just use my 28-135mm. I really don't want to switch lenses if I don't have to. I don't want dust on my sensor, at least while I'm on my trip.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As far as memory my father has a stand alone data storage device the will burn everything on your memory card to a CD all with out batteries. I'll either borrow that or take my labtop.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:42 PM   #5

If you can, go with your 28-135 IS zoom & take your Father's 20mm along - "just in case". It would be better to have it there than not at all & shouldn't take up that much space in your camera bag.

Enjoy your trip!

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #6

You need to buy a remote for the camera (so you can trigger the shutter without touching the camera.)

If you do buy the remote, buy a strip of Velcro at the grocery store. Attach the soft side of the Velcro to the back of your remote (about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long). Attach 2 strips of the rough side of the velcro to both sides of your monopod - this will enable you to hold the camera in your right and pull the trigger with your left.

I will confess I haven't seen anyone else doing this - but it works great for me, even at very low shutter speeds.

Also, spend some time really focusing on hand-holding the camera as steady as you can.

You dont mention cards, but if you are shooting RAW (and you should), then buy as many 1 gig cards as you can afford. (Don't bother with the 2 gig cards.) Fortunately for you, the 1 gig cards are now selling for about $80 US. When I first began buying them, they were close to $400 each..... OUCH.

If you have a secondary charger, 2 batteries is probablyplenty. Just charge them overnight and you will be good to go for several hours each morning.

The 420 should be fine, but if you use the 550, be sure you practice with it before you leave (especially if you plan to shoot manual light)
CDesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:36 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i honestly dont know why you would use the remote with a monopod or how that is going to significantly increase its stability..

if you are really going to shoot long shutter speeds.. just use your tripod with mirror lock-up and self timer..

i dont necessarily think you shoudl go out and buy tons of memory cards right now, i mean you are in NY.. and like Peter mentioned, buying another one is not going to be a problem..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:32 PM   #8

I use the remote on the mono for one simple reason - it works for me. A lot of times, I can't carry a tripod around nor have the time to spread it out. The mono is quick and I have just really enjoyed using that little extra additional platform.

The remote itself is of course of real value when using the tripod, which he said he was carrying.

As far buying the cards in NY... I haven't checked, but with the prices of everything else in NY being higher than they are in San Ang... it seems more practical to me to buy one locally. I recommend checking the prices in NY before relying on picking up extras there (plus, you have to factor in the cab fare and time it takes to move through NY traffic, which can be a real pain.) I am not recommending a need to buy 30 1 gig cards... but an extra one or two cant hurt.

(What will you do when you are in Times Square, getting great shots in great light... and all of a sudden your card is full? Stop shooting so you can take a cab down to the local Radio Shack? )

Just tossing out ideas...
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:32 AM   #9

well, I have order every stick of canon equipment from B&H in nyc We only have one camera store in San Angelo, and they are considerably higher than anyone else. A small no-name camera bag is 90.00 for example
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:34 AM   #10

$90? That isinsane. Find a camera re-sale shop and pick up a bag for $2.

B&H does have a store front in NYC, just make sure you remember you have to add in time for the joyride and money for the fare. For me, the issue is time lost that would prevent me from waiting. I dunno... I realize my situation and yours is completely different, butI would never go on a location shoot thinking that if I run out ofcard memory, I would simply leave the site, go to the store, buy anew card, and return. I justcouldn't do that.

But hey man, whatever works for youis what works best. That's how I have come to see things. I realize there is a money component here and you probably dont want to buy something unless you absolutely need it. Regardless, I am sure you will have a great time up there... lots of stuff to shoot.