Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1

Hi,
i've been reading on this forum for few months already and this is my first post

I just bought a 2nd hand drebel(this the only thing i can afford) and i want to replace or add a new one to the existing 18-55mm lens.

I like street/travel/landscape photography. for lens, i need a wide and some sort of tele's that won't cost me an arm and leg.

for various reasons, i could say that this Tamron AF18-200MM F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II is still pretty expensive for me but somehow i can manage to save for this. Now the question is, are there any of you guys tested this lens?

pls post if you had.

sigma also has similar specs on that one...
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...02&navigator=6

thanks,
jaggy
www.justinthecorner.com/album.php

jaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:45 AM   #2

From what I've seen of users photos posted @ pbase.com this lens doesn't seem that great. I have a Sigma 18-125mm coming which I plan on using for an everyday andtravel lens. I haven't seen any thing yet on Sigma's new 18-200.
smith_XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3

I would hold out for some Sigma reviews. It's coming this Month. B&H is taking pre orders for it now.

Bad thing about reviews is most compare the lense to an L lense, where people like me like to compare it to the Kit lens. Don't have the money for an L lense. But I have read many people say bad things about the Tamron. I am waiting for the Sigma. Hope it's as good as the 18-125. if not, that is the lense for me!
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:05 PM   #4

thanks,

am not sure when will it be available in the Philippines.

i've seen some photos taken by tamron 18-200, and 'tho it's not sharp compared to an L, it's still pretty usable for me -- a little bit of USM and selective color adjustment might fix it's shortcomings.

i think it has pluses on the price and it's focal reached -- with few minuses on the quality `tho.

so far these are the sample albums i found in pbase
http://www.pbase.com/ewilliams/tamron18_200
http://www.pbase.com/iamarika/briebreakfast
http://www.pbase.com/iamarika/laforgevalley
jaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 9:38 AM   #5

Does anybody have any more information on the sigma verses Tamron issue. I was really leaning towards the tamron. I am comparing this lans with the quality of the rebelXT kit lens also so it would be unfair to compare with a L series.

Thanks P
pleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

pleblanc wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody have any more information on the sigma verses Tamron issue. I was really leaning towards the tamron. I am comparing this lans with the quality of the rebelXT kit lens also so it would be unfair to compare with a L series.

Thanks P

Somewhere on this forum or dpreview forum is a thread about a thorough test with pictures, comparing the Tamron 18-200, Sigma 18-200, and Sigma 18-125. I can't find the thread, so I'll summarize what I recall:

The general consensus, in terms of image sharpness, the lenses would be ranked 1) Sigma 18-125, 2) Sigma 18-200 (a close second...), and 3) Tamron 18-200 (a distant third...). Both Sigmas were sharper at all focal lengths than the Tamron. The Sigma 18-200 was actually sharper than the 18-125 at wide angle, but the 18-125 was usually slightly sharper than the 18-200 throughout the rest of the range...

I just placed an order for the Sigma 18-200 based on this test ($369 at sigma4ess.com)... I will post some pics when I get 'em.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 1:23 PM   #7
NHL

FYI - http://imageevent.com/microsaft/tamron/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 10:03 AM   #8

Got it... Here are a few pics from my new Sigma 18-200. The image quality is acceptable, though not as sharp as my 17-85IS. It is lighter, though, and is actually more aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention the range of course. The lens is slow at the long end, so the long telephoto is only useful in really good light without a tripod:

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 7:54 PM   #9

Hard to tell but it looks pretty soft.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:07 PM   #10

i have a tamron AF18-200 on hold a the local camera store, i have a rebel xt an want a good every day all around lense, a newby with a limited budget is this the right lense
kmunch is offline   Reply With Quote