Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1

So I hear many people would like to get the 50mm 1.8 version one with the metal mount. I know that the metal is a plus but is it really worth going on e-bay and buying a USED lens for $30-$50 more that a new verision of the lens (type 2)?

What is the difference other than the mount?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2

Much better build quality.

The type 1 has a nice (for an AF lens) focusing ring, and a distance window so you can actually see the distance set on the lens- neither of which the current type 2 version has. In other words, if you were to see what the 24mm f2.8 lens or 35mm f2 lens looks like- that's what the type 1 50mm f1.8 looks like. Better yet, check out eBay and you'll be able to find at least one of the type 1 versions, easy I'm sure.

Is it worth it? That's your call. I wound up getting the current version and it's turned out to be my least used lens- not because of the optical qualities, but because of my shooting preferences. Of the lenses I own, the only one that even comes close to being a good match is my 17-40L and I've found I'd rather pair that lens up with my 85mm f1.8 instead.

Today, you might be better off spending the same funds on another 1 GB flash card.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:23 AM   #3

If looking on "evil"bay, how can I tell that it's a Mk1 rather than Mk2? Is there anything obvious? Other than the seller knowing and putting it in the text!

There are loads on there but would like to know how to tell from a photo? Or do I need to ask the seller a specific question!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:14 PM   #4

A picture is worth 1,000 words:

Type 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

and type 2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If you look at the image in the type 2, you see it has a Roman numeral "II" onthe rimas well, but the otherphysicaldifferences are obvious.

As with many things on eBay, DON'T alwaysbelieve what the seller writes in the ad. One of the 50's I was looking at while putting this message together called his lens a type 2, when it was really the original, type 1 version! There's just enough people out there selling things they know nothing about or that cannottypeto drive you crazy.

Greg

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:07 AM   #5

Hi,

Thanks for that!

My friend had a 50mm f1.8 that he didn't use anymore so I've bought it off him. I believe that it's a Mk1. Tooks some shots last night in the house and they were "okay" for what I'd expect.

I'm going to a bike race at weekend so will try it out there doing some pit shots!

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote